Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Sliders

gottogo

Nov 15, 2013
hello, could do with some help understanding how sliders work.

Which lug goes where with relation to signal/wiper/ground?..

there are 4 lugs on the one I have to use for a project. 2 top and 2 bottom. numbered 3/2 and 2/1.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
The numbers don't tell much. Show us a picture. Or simply measure with an Ohmmeter.
A slider (I assume a sliding potentiometer) is a fixed resistor between two ends of the slider and, well, a slider that can be moved along the resistor to tap the signal that is applied between the end. Imagine a resistive divider where the two resistors can be adjusted (almost) arbitrarily with the side condition that the sum of the resistors is fixed.

gottogo

Nov 15, 2013
thx Harald. with a DMM it is top 2 together for signal in/out or bottom 2 together or top left and bottom right and vice versa.
however I have a ground that needs to be connected somewhere.
don't know which of the 2 remaining lugs to use. does it matter?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The potentiometer will be labelled with a resistance and this should be seen between contacts at either end. There will be no change in this resistance when the slider is moved.

The input/ground should be connected to the end contacts and the output to ground and the slider.
If you get it the inputs the wrong way round, the control will operate in the opposite direction. There is a complication if the resistance is not linear such as in volume controls.

TorontoBob

Oct 6, 2013
You will find that the resistance between two contacts at extreme opposite ends will be the correct resistance and these will be the ends of the potentiometer.

There should be another two contacts, one near each end but typically not quite as close to the ends and if you measure the resistance between these two contacts it should be ZERO. This is the slider contact for the pot and either one will do for the contact.