Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Simple 6 LED Random

david_p

Mar 3, 2011
Just joined the forum I hope this is the right section.

Our group has come up with the idea of a random output generator with 6 LED's for display.

The circuit has to be solar powered.

The circuit would need an on/off switch, reset switch and involve a chip capable of giving a random 1-6 outputs shown by the LED's switching on. It is for a game so it would be better if it rotated around the 6 LEDs a few times before stopping?

I did some electronics at school but I was thinking about changing a electronic dice circuit? or somehting similar?

Any ideas much appreciated

Thanks Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There are many such circuits around.

I would suggest that you run a high frequency oscillator while a button is pressed by the user, then perhaps slow the frequency until the oscillator stops.

Then I'd look at the 4017.

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
Oscillators are an analog approach. Try Google "Pseudorandom number generator". This is a digital approach most often implemented with shift registers and gated feedback to the input of the shift register. The simplest circuit overall would use a single microcontroller driving the LEDs directly and generating the random sequence in software.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
True, that would be simpler.

I would still consider using the length of time the user pressed a button to seed your random number.