Maker Pro
Maker Pro

SIM project

ocean750

Feb 16, 2017
Hello.

I would like to send commands to hardware by use of a SIM card.
for starters, as an example, activate a LED, and receive a button being pressed.
are there examples of such projects ?

Thank you,
Ocean

Kaare Jenssen

Feb 22, 2017
Hi.

Key question: What kind of hardware do you have/want to use/What is your background?

The easiest way for most people without prior knowledge would be Arduino with GSM shield, or a Raspberry Pi with a GSM module. The reason is due to the simplified programming (no need for assembly, writing library code etc), and the amount of documentation for these devices.

That being said, I suppose it deponds on your programming background, and if you are an electrician, if you want to use ladder logic or programming languages like C/C++ and even assembly programming or to be able to easily use java, .net etc.etc

You can find step by step instructions for most common devices for the task u describe, and for the arduinos and raspberry pis, there is overwhelming amounts of tutorials and picture guides etc.

There is really no better friend for this question than google.

Wilksey

Mar 3, 2010
Arduino + GSM Shield, this will take your SIM, most come with examples, but your best bet is to download the "AT Command" set for the chipset (say SIM900 for example) and see what each command does.

You will find some commands are common across GSM chipsets, some might have slightly different parameters, and all will have their own proprietary AT commands.

SalRu

Mar 16, 2017
Hello!

Arduino and GSM module are the best solution! You can send "AT-COMMANDS" with the UART protocol from arduino to GSM and it will automatically send the SMS.

When you receive an SMS the GSM send a String through the UART to arduino where you can compare to a string in the memory and act depending on what was written in the SMS

Hope to be helpful!

ocean750

Feb 16, 2017
Hi.
Thanks for the replay.
can you direct me to a sample project ?
one that I can copy and move on from there ?

Thanks