Connect with us

Series/parallel Mode In Lcr Meter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by vinothe83, Dec 18, 2009.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. vinothe83

vinothe83

Aug 26, 2009
    Hi everyone,
    whenever i am using the LCR meter, i always having an question in my mind. The question is " what is Series & parallel mode in LCR meter?".
    For capacitance & resistance, the parallel mode can give the correct value. And for Inductance, the series mode gives the correct value. So i am tring to find the differnce between the two mode. give inputs to understand that.

Thanks,
    Vinoth

2. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    A capacitor has both a series resistance (limiting the maximum current it can pass before overheating), and a parallell resistance (limiting the maximum hf voltage across it before it overheats).
    Look for a capacitor equivalent circuit diagram.
    For an inductor the series mode gives you the wire resistance (including the skin effect) while the parallell mode gives you the (resistive) core losses.

3. vinothe83

vinothe83

Aug 26, 2009
    Hi Resqueline,
    Thanks for your reply. can you give some more detail about the Series /Parallel mode measurement.like
    How the parallel mode oprates & what are measurements taken in parallel mode?
    How the Series mode oprates & what are measurements taken in parallel mode?
    It will be helful.

Thks,
    Vinoth

4. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I'm sorry, I never studied in detail how the actual measurements are performed in the LCR instruments.
    I can only refer you to a capacitor equivalent circuit diagram and say that the measurements targets the different resistors there.

Ask a Question