Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RS Analogue Multimeter AMM301

groovejet

Feb 27, 2011
Ive been given a RS Multimeter the ranges rX1ohm, rX100ohms move the needle but the other rx1K, x10K dont move needle and when it does move the readings arnt anywhere near the corect resistance.
Its hardly been used and inside and out looks really good,.still got plastic film on scale.
I havnt even got started to check anything else on meter , live dc voltage etc, so these may be wrong also.
Any ideasIMG_0764.jpg IMG_0765.jpg IMG_0766.jpg IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0768.jpg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Are the 2 x AA batteries installed the right way around?
Also looks like green corrosion on the bottom left cell.
How about the fuse?

Also this is a bit confusing "but the other rx1K, x10K dont move needle and when it does move "

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
If you can zero the reading in the X1,X100 ranges the battery is fine.

The fact that the X1K,X10K don't work properly is due to:
either bad contacts on the rotary switch (marks visible) try cleaning withe Servisol-10 (or other electrical contact cleaning material),
or bad values of these ranges resistors/wires.

groovejet

Feb 27, 2011
How about the fuse?

Also this is a bit confusing "but the other rx1K, x10K dont move needle and when it does move "
Sorry...and when it does move on the x1 and x100 the values arnt correct. as i check the readings against my digital auto ranging meter

groovejet

Feb 27, 2011
How about the fuse?

Good eyes!
Tiny bit of battery corrosion like you said but all batteries are in correct and new.
Fuse is good

groovejet

Feb 27, 2011
If you can zero the reading in the X1,X100 ranges the battery is fine.

The fact that the X1K,X10K don't work properly is due to:
either bad contacts on the rotary switch (marks visible) try cleaning withe Servisol-10 (or other electrical contact cleaning material),
or bad values of these ranges resistors/wires.
Spot on ! I bent the rorary contacts away from the tiny marks visable and got the meter to move on the higher scales, but then the ones that worked packed in.
This needs cleaning like you said and the switch needs positioning correctly.
Theres a bit of movement in the rotary switch. If i turn it from the inside i can move it back over abit , just strange as its practically brand new for its age.
Thanks

groovejet

Feb 27, 2011
Just watched a tear down on EEV and it makes this meter look like a toy.
Theres nothing in the guts of this compared to the ones Dave took apart.

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
The analog meters are very simple in structure, only resistors are needed.
The only silicon(if at all present) is a pair of back to back meter protection diodes.
These meters from a serious manufacture(RS is a sticker only) are far from being toys,
like an AVO.

I own a Japanese Sanwa analog meter from the 70's .
The build quality is fantastic,45 years and it's guts look like it left the factory yesterday!
Needles to say,it works perfectly -rotary switch included. ;)

tvman

Aug 19, 2013
Ive been given a RS Multimeter the ranges rX1ohm, rX100ohms move the needle but the other rx1K, x10K dont move needle and when it does move the readings arnt anywhere near the corect resistance.
Its hardly been used and inside and out looks really good,.still got plastic film on scale.
I havnt even got started to check anything else on meter , live dc voltage etc, so these may be wrong also.
Any ideasView attachment 38223 View attachment 38224 View attachment 38225 View attachment 38226 View attachment 38227

google how to use analogue multimeter