Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RGB LED controller current extension

Walter6540

Aug 28, 2015
Hello everyone.
My project is to extra RGB LED arrays and use extra current power extension for regular low power RGB LED controller. I would like to use TIP 3055 transistors according to diagram. Will that solution work for
color light shows? Thank You.Controller2 copy.jpg

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
The circuit will not work as shown. Either the transistor collectors stay connected to +12V and the LEDs get connected to GND, or the LEDs stay connected to +12V and the transistor emitters get connected to GND. The actual changes are a bit more complex than that.

But first, two very important questions: Before adding the three transistors, how were the LEDs connected to the controller? Also, what is the maker and part number of the controller?

ak

Walter6540

Aug 28, 2015
There is no brand name or part number. I uploaded Controller3.jpg ControllerImage1.gif connection diagram and
a picture of controller board.

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
According to the user manual for your device, there needs to be a resistor in series with each LED string. This tells me that each output is a saturated N-channel MOSFET switch that is pulse width modulated. You cannot drive a TIP3055 with this type of output to do what you want. What is the writing on the three power transistors to the right?

If you have access to P-channel power MOSFETs, maybe they can be adapted to work.

ak

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Given that the board has dual footprints, one option is to remove the standard FETs and drop in big fat boys. The problem is the 24 A of ground current.

ak

Walter6540

Aug 28, 2015
Maybe I can remove FETs, install something like FQD13N10TM 10Amps current
on separate board, connect powerful MOSFET gate to controller board instead of old one and connect Source directly to power supply and load to Drain

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
That's the basic idea (no warranties expressed or implied). I'm assuming that the controller can dim the LEDs, and uses PWM to do it. If so, then the new FETs have to be fast enough to keep up. Might be a problem because a large MOSFET has a large gate capacitance, and needs a gate drive circuit that can charge and discharge it fast enough to keep the FET out of its linear region when the big current is flowing. I couldn't find a datasheet on the controller chip, so this approach is a bit of a gamble.

Before any mods, operate the controller for a while with 2A loads and feel the original FETs to see what the designers think a reasonable operating temp is. Then you'll have a starting point when the new FETs fuse your fingerprints.

ak

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
Nice part. There still is the issues of 24 A currents running around. If the three FET sources go through pc board traces to an external connector pin, you might want to add some #16 solid wire in parallel to the traces for lower resistance.

ak

Walter6540

Aug 28, 2015
There is only one color or combination of colors are on in one time frame.
Only one channel is open or a combination of channels with current equals about
of 8 Amps at the time. I measured the current after the controller with 10 pieces
10 watts RGB LED in parallel load and Imax was 3.3 Amps. Now I would like to increase the load up to 22 pieces 10 watts RGB LED and I assume the current will be up to 8 Amps. I sorry for some misrepresentation of my project.