Maker Pro
Maker Pro

RF keyfob & arduino.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Hello !

I have a small motor that i want to control with an arduino (uno or mega) using an RF keyfob.
simple operations like start and stop. Nothing special. I really have no idea about how RF keyfobs can work with arduino. Could someone point me to some rf module and maybe give me some insight on them ?

P.S.
I have several rf leftover keyfobs (433Mhz i think) So maybe i could find a receiver and use them ?

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Why worry about using an arduino? Complete relay modules incl. transmitter can be bought off the shelf. Google "rf relay control".

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Well first because i would like to program it to my convenience for example i want to program it to start the motor after a sequence is pressed. Second because maybe in the future i might implement arduino to arduino rf communication.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Most are termed wireless relay for that exact reason.
i.e. the output is a relay which can be set as....... on and off with button press and release...... or press on, press off...or one button on and another button as off.
Available either as 315 or 433mhz. Not much range but there are some which claim long range.

Depends what you mean when you say you want to interface with Arduino.
As input or as an output?
As an input the relay doesn't get much simpler but as an output, you'll have to suck it and see I imagine.
Whatever, I'm sure there is someone out there that has already tried it so Google should work.

To me, if you need radio link to interface with Arduino, the NRF24 series of units are cheap, work well, offer a range of short or long range (high power) units and are interchangeable as Tx Rx depending on application.
Don't forget to use the adaptor board for an extra $1 or so and avoid the many headaches of working without it.

If that doesn't suit you, then there are other most expensive units such as the LoRa ESP32.

I think that would also need to be a consideration when operating an unattended motor.

Hunter64

Nov 20, 2018
If you want to use one of the leftover keyfobs, more information is needed.

Do they send a specific code?
Is the code changing?
How is the rf-signal modulated?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014

Do they send a specific code?
Is the code changing?
How is the rf-signal modulated?

I wouldn't use just the keyfob on it's own...too many variables to even begin to sort out what goes on inside it.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Depends what you mean when you say you want to interface with Arduino.
As input or as an output?
As input to the arduino.
I think that would also need to be a consideration when operating an unattended motor.
Not exactly unattended but yes that is for sure.
I would like to buy a set (keyfob and receiver) that can work with arduino. I have found arduino to arduino rf tranceivers but thats not wat i need atm. As for my leftover keyfobs most likely not worth the trouble finding a receiver, decoder etc.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I recently picked a $5.00 one up one ebay 263069373827.
M.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The Arduino itself is not a receiver.
Receiver is an add on device and the Arduino is coded to accept whatever it outputs and then do whatever.

Having said that there are new variants with receiver modules but not directly compatible with your key fob as far as I am aware.

Many Arduino rf controls on Google, could even try instructables.
Never know, might get lucky and find something workable there.
It has happened occasionally.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Yes i know that arduinos are not rf receivers. they are MCU's. what i ment to say was that i want to use an rf receiver with an arduino