Maker Pro
Maker Pro

revolving platform

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
hi
i want to use a slow speed motor like for microwave 12 v and add flicker lights 12v
i need it to revolve a very small maybe 5-6 inch platform
which type of simple slip ring would i need and how would i do the connections

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
which type of simple slip ring would i need and how would i do the connections
Any that fits your platform's dimensions. Wiring instructions should come with the slip rings - if it is not obvious how to wire them.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
i am sorry
this is new for me and i have no clue what to order what to buy how to connect

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Look up pancake slip rings.
They have as the name suggests, a low profile.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
can you please draw for me how it connects to the motor then to the lights

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
There are different types of slip rings. Some have a motor built in and some don’t.
They are usually colour coded wires, so easy to wire. If you use (example) red, black and yellow wires for signal input, then obviously use the same colour wires for signal output.
They also come with various amounts of circuits. 1,2,3,4 circuits etc. voltage and current ratings are for maximum, so use any that are higher than your requirements.
Might also be useful to install one with an extra circuit in case you wish to add to your project at a later date.
If you purchase one with a built in motor, you won’t need the microwave motor either.
If it’s also a small platform with only LEDs, a miniature type might suffice.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
there is no tutorial anywhere on-line how to combine a slip ring with a DC motor
i have been searching for a few yearshowe to have my platform spin yet have my 12v led's not snap
any leads

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
hi
thanks for this information but all i am seeing is slip ring information. noone discussses for novices in these things how to join a DC motor with the slip ring

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You don't join the motor with the slip ring. The motor drives your platform via an axle. The slip ring is mounted to the axle. The revolving part rotates with the platform, the fix part is stationary to the motor or the base of your prop. You apply power to the stationary part, the slip ring transfers power to the rotating part and from the rotating part the elements on the platform are supplied with power.

The article in @Martaine2005's link explains it rather well, but to spare you the tedious work of a web search I'll provide another link here.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
i actually did
all i see is how they work and what they are but no tutorail how to have a motor to revolve my paltform then the slipring to have my lights spin
what connects to what?
i use 12v mini leds till now with 12v mini motors
i wanted to "expand" my creativity but feel a bit stupid now as i have no clue how to connect the motor and the slipring and if they even exist in 12v

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
all i see is how they work
So please tell us where you are stuck.
how to have a motor to revolve my paltform then the slipring to have my lights spin
what connects to what?
May I guess that the part "to have a motor to revolve my paltform" is not your problem?
So let's assume you have a motor, mounted to a stationary base, and a platform, mounted to the axle of the motor and thus rotating, right?
Let's further assume you have a slipring of the type shown in the article in @Martaine2005's post #9. As is clearly shown:
  • The slip rings (actually 2 rings, one for "+" and one for "-") are mounted to the axle, between motor and platform such that the rings rotate with the platform.
  • From each of the 2 rings a wire is fed to the platform (2 wires for 2 slip rings). In the example these wires are fed through the central hole of the axle. You connect these wires to the LEDs on the platform.
  • The slip ring contacts are stationary, fixed to the base of the model. These contacts (also 2 to match the number of slip rings) are wired to the 12 V power source, thus treansferring power from the stationary part to the revolving part.
I suggest you get a slip ring and practice with that. Sources are e.g. Sparkfun, Aliexpress, Amazon, you name it.
You'll have to look out for:
voltage rating >= 12 V
ampere rating >= depends on your model and the power dissipation of the LEDs etc.
If you can't find an affordable 2 wire slip ring, use a 3-wire, 4-wire or r´whatever no. of wires slip ring and use only 2 of the wires.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
now it kind of makes sense i will order to playwith i was afraid of hurting myself or causing a short
so stationary wires connect to the same source that 12v motor connects to then revolving wires connect to the lights on the top of my platform in my display? can a 2 channel 12v be sufficient for about 10 mini 12v leds? or does each led need its own channel?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
can a 2 channel 12v be sufficient for about 10 mini 12v leds? or does each led need its own channel?
That depends on your application. If you want all LEDs to be on or off at the same time, 2 wires suffice.
If you want the LEDs to be controlled separately, you can either use a multi-wire slip ring or add a controller to the platform, supply power via a 2 wire slip ring to the controller and have the controller do the switching of the LEDs.
If you want interaction between a user and the LEDs, you can use either a wireless controller or you can use a wired interface using additional slip rings for the data protocol between base and platform.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
static lit leds revolving platform
if 2 channel black and red then static side connects to power source + and _?
then leds connect to revolving side also + and -?
how does a 4+ channel work? where do all the static side connect? what meanscolor coded? 1/2 are + and the other 1/2-?

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
if 2 channel black and red then static side connects to power source + and _?
LEDs connect as usual: anode to "+", cathode to "-". Don't forget the current limiting resistor. For the color see below.
how does a 4+ channel work?
Same as a 2 chanel, only with 4 slip rings. Haven't you ever looked at the link in @Martaine2005's link in post #9? It show a 3 slip ring setup.
what meanscolor coded?
Color is irrelevant for the function. Only for you identify like channels (red on statci goes to red on moving etc.). When you connect red on the static part to "+", the red on the moving part also is "+". Which color codes which voltage or signal is not a hard definition, it is only by convention that
red = "+" and
blue (or black)= "-".

Honestly I don't understand your issues with slip rings. Think of them as a moveable connection. Otherwise they are plain wiring as with a piece of wire, only that one piece can slip along the other piece to allow the rotation without entangling the wires.

Crafts4Me

Feb 10, 2022
i read #9 it was a foreign language
i am a crafter trying to be very creative and branch out. since i already messed up once and shorted my house and blew all the led's in my display besides the burn i got i am extra cautious.
i need to undertsand the concept before i try
12v is low voltage but that was my error i forgot the transformer etc.
somehow no diagram shows a mini motor with a slip ring so i am confused in how to do the connection

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
i read #9 it was a foreign language
The page shows in English for me.
12v is low voltage but that was my error i forgot the transformer etc.
The important part is a fuse.
somehow no diagram shows a mini motor with a slip ring
The slip ring is not part of the motor as has been stated a few times before. The slip is mounted to the axle.

Alternatively you can use pancake slip rings where the rotary part is not mounted to the axle but to the rotating platform (link).