Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replacing Bus Power with an alternative .

Soundzman

Feb 21, 2013
I have old bus powered soundcard which i want to use for amplification purpose . So i need to supply an alternative power to run that . How ....

Thanks

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
What kind of bus is it?
The PCI bus is documented at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conventional_PCI
The ISA bus is documented at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industry_Standard_Architecture
Find the power rails on the bus and see which ones are used by the amplifier section. You will need to provide those power rails. You can use an old PC power supply, but that's major overkill because the sound card only needs a fraction of the current that a PC power supply can supply. It's also undesirable because PC power supplies are noisy. Alternatively, make a linear power supply using three-terminal regulators (Google those keywords for more information).

You'll probably find it's easier to buy a little audio amplifier module from a company like sparkfun. These will only need one power rail and will accept a wider range of voltages.

Soundzman

Feb 21, 2013
Thanks for the reply KrisBlueNZ .

Its a usb soundcard . since there's tons of stuff runs on usb power , i thought there's dc power running to the board through USB . if it was that way , i could have used an dc adapter to replace the power . Now i need to study more .

I would like to learn all these things , so i gonna try making it work . Thanks for the help . It;ll be nice , if you can eleborate more . .

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
The USB supply voltage is nominally 5V. The outer two pins on the connector are used. One is +5V and the other is 0V/ground; this one will have continuity to the large copper areas on the board. You could power your circuit from a 5V USB phone charger, or a linear power supply using a 7805 voltage regulator.