Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Replace CCFL backlight with LED strip

Jerryplan

Feb 20, 2016
Hi, i have a LG flatron W1942TE which turns off after few seconds. I changed already once the CCFL backlight 5 years ago. So i have decided to replace them by some LED strips, a kit which comes with the driver.
Now my questions are:
- Is it possible to connect the LED driver on the board?
If yes:
- where can i get my 12V supply for the LED driver on the board?
- Do i need to remove the inverter transformer?
- Regarding the DIM signal, on the power board there is ADIM an BDIM. Which one should i choose?
- Regarding the ENA signal, I should be able to get from the EN pin on the board?

So if someone could help me, that would be great.

cheers!

Attachments

• LED driver pinout.jpg
    LED driver pinout.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 554
  • LED driver.jpg
    LED driver.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Power board pin out bottom.jpg
    Power board pin out bottom.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 241
  • Power board pin out top.jpg
    Power board pin out top.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 225
  • power inverter board bottom.jpg
    power inverter board bottom.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 257
  • power inverter board top.jpg
    power inverter board top.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 273

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Done that; to another brand.

The important part is dimensional fitting. The LED strip must fit in the removed CCFL groove without chance for short-circuiting traces. The directionality of the light emission should be taken in account for proper illumination. Some convenient strips are 'edge-lit'
Do not expect smooth and uniform lighting in such adaptation. Depending on the LED emission angle, spotty light sources of individual LEDs may show, as the difussers are designed for CCFL, if that is of importance to you.

There is 12V available at the inverter input power connection. The inverter circuit can be removed. Dimming functions can be implemented if a driving circuit is implemented, if you care about that. If there is any CCFL current sensing, should be managed to ignore. Perhaps the kit shows instructions.

Do not run the LEDs at its maximum rated current for longevity. If more light is desired, choose another strip.

Jerryplan

Feb 20, 2016
Thanks Externet!
Fitting the strips was pretty straight forward as i changed the CCFL once before. I wasn't sure where to get the supply from. Found 12V before the inverter and I soldered the ENA wire from the LED driver to the EN pin on the power board. I powered up and the backlight is working. Now i'm not to sure where to connect the DIM wire from the LED driver onto the powerboard.
Does anyone know why there is a ADIM and BDIM?

cheers!