Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Remote control beach trolley.

Menewbie

Jul 31, 2020
Hi All,
This my very first time on a forum like this, so please bear with me as I am not even sure that I am in the right place. This is also my first retirement project. I am building a rc trolley and my biggest problem will be the wiring (completely uselesss). The items I have thus far is:
12v SLA battery, 12v DC motor (drive), 12v optical actuator with feedback (steering), transmitter & reciever - 3 channel. Is there anyone who could advise me on the correct controller to use, and also a wiring diagram and connectors to use.
Looking forward to any responses.
Many thanks.

Nanren888

Nov 8, 2015
What's a "beach trolley"? Some concept of size? What does one do?
What's an "optical actuator"?
Any chance of a image of what you want to make and some details on the parts you've selected?

Menewbie

Jul 31, 2020
This is some pictorial info. Let me know if this helps.
Thanks.

Attachments

• cart.pdf
    133.1 KB · Views: 10

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
By remote, do you mean via a hand held transmitter or by a "follow me " basis..??

As you say you have no idea on wiring etc. it might be a good idea to get your feet wet by starting with a much smaller model.

As it stands, there is a hell of a lot more to it than just a battery, actuator and a couple of connectors.

It may even attract the attention of the law makers given the nature of the intended project.
Could only imagine the mayhem should something go amiss unexpectedly.
Why remote control..??

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
He possibly means a powered cart like a golf trolley, with switches on the handle.
Easier than pulling on the sand.

Martin

Menewbie

Jul 31, 2020
A powered cart, I think, is a more apt description. I would hate the law to be involved in the RC version. The concept is based exactly like a RC golf trolley. I posted a threed on another electronics forum, and this was the response this morning. In addition to the items listed, what is required is a Pololu jrk G2 21v3 motor controller with feedback, This controller is recommended for use with the Firgelli optical feedback actuator and comes complete with wiring diagram for reciever and DC motor. This was the info I was seeking. Problem solved. Thanks for the contributions.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@Menewbie, we here will believe the "Problem solved" when we see a picture, or better yet a video, of your beach cart rolling down the beach with you operating it with your handheld remote control. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

I wouldn't mind building something like your beach buggy. Our beach is semi-private, reachable by means of an electric ferry if you have a $120 per year pass. Or, if that's too steep a price to pay, shank's mare if you are willing to hike about two miles from either Venice or Englewood to reach our beach. By ferry, there is still about a hundred yard walk on a wood deck to the beach from the ferry dock, and a couple flights of stairs to climb and descend on each end. A motorized cart, especially one with stair-climbing ability, would help to carry beach chairs, umbrellas, and refreshments, but it needs to be small to fit on the ferry. Of course if were larger and could carry two adults, like a golf cart, we wouldn't need the ferry... just park near the public beach in Venice or Englewood and drive to our semi-private beach.

However, with the COVID19 pandemic ready to sweep through Florida again, I don't think I want to visit the beach anytime soon...