Maker Pro
Maker Pro

pulse

nubespark001

Dec 14, 2015
hello i know absolutely nothing about electronics but have a few ideas i want to try, i have a question, if you have a device that creates an electrical pulse from revolutions "ignition magneto" is there a way to store that current and get a clean flow out the other end ? like would a capacitor bank work ? thanks for your time.

Last edited:

nubespark001

Dec 14, 2015
Brother, I think you just defined alternating current.
Using it to do work is what this electronics thing is all about.

like i say i know nothing of electronics. so is there a device that will convert it to a steady current ? rectifier

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello
What will you be using this stored energy for? How much of it will you be using?
Adam

nubespark001

Dec 14, 2015
Hello
What will you be using this stored energy for? How much of it will you be using?
Adam
i want to make a device that can provide electric but want to use a ignition magneto system and connect it to a bike of some sorts to generate and store power. just a project i want to try but as i say i know very little about electronics and like to learn

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Some people have use a diode rectifier and magneto to charge a small battery. I wouldn't have thought you would get much energy from the secondary winding to charge the battery. These are generally used for keeping the spark going in petrol engines that don't have batteries. Others may have other ideas but you are using a magneto for a different job than it was intended to be used for so the results may not be what your expecting.
Adam

nubespark001

Dec 14, 2015
Some people have use a diode rectifier and magneto to charge a small battery. I wouldn't have thought you would get much energy from the secondary winding to charge the battery. These are generally used for keeping the spark going in petrol engines that don't have batteries. Others may have other ideas but you are using a magneto for a different job than it was intended to be used for so the results may not be what your expecting.
Adam

could i not modify it and add extra winding to the device so i get many times the spark and use capacitor bank and a rectifier to then get a steady flow of current eben use a transformer to increase the out put ?

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A magneto generates energy and stores it in an inductance, this is then discharged into the spark gap at high voltage. This is not what you want.
A better source is a car alternator which generates AC and rectifies it to DC to charge the battery.
Or you can use a DC motor as a generator.
If you are going to pedal power this, you will need to be fit to get 100W.

nubespark001

Dec 14, 2015
A magneto generates energy and stores it in an inductance, this is then discharged into the spark gap at high voltage. This is not what you want.
A better source is a car r which generates AC and rectifies it to DC to charge the battery.
Or you can use a DC motor as a generator.
If you are going to pedal power this, you will need to be fit to get 100W.
thanks for your reply i was thinking of an alternator but wanted to try some thing different just for fun but yes you are right that would work better, thanks once again