Connect with us

Proper casing and fusing for an outdoor arduino project

Discussion in 'Microcontrollers, Programming and IoT' started by Lei Reyes, Oct 17, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Lei Reyes

Lei Reyes

Jul 2, 2014
    hello everyone ,

1. may you help me find or create a good design of a casing that contains the ff:
    1pc arduino uno
    1pc relay card module (link) -----> http://www.e-gizmo.com/KIT/relay card.html
    1pc long distance IR detector module (link) ----->http://www.e-gizmo.com/KIT/Long range IR sensor.html

- it will be placed in the outside my house
    - the system will detect human presence and turn on a siren and a light
    (led pin light with 28V 7W rating, siren with 12V 1A)
    - it will be exposed to sunlight, probably under 35 degrees temperature
    - it must operate 24/7 , no turning off

i am considering what type of material must the case be made of, the need for ventilation, heat sink, etc . (feel free to add more)

2. and also, if i want to have one central fuse for the relay card, ir detector and the arduino, what fuse would best suit for them ?
    thanks in advance guys !

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You need to find a sealed enclosure and use proper cable glands to ensure that the box remains sealed where cables pass into the box. If you use a metal box, then it can act as a heatsink. Otherwise you can connect the heatsink to the bolts holding the box to the wall, metal post, etc to transfer heat out of the case.

Having a white (coloured or painted) box will help keep the electronics cooler if this is out in the sun.

How much heat is dissipated in the box?

what's a led pin light? is it internal or external to the sealed enclosure?

3. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Oh, the best fuse is one rated appropriately for the load. I don't fully understand what the total load is, so that's pretty much all I can say.

Ask a Question