Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Project feasibility - Police Speed Gun

IloveGraceKelly

Jun 2, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am currently a rising senior majoring in computer engineering. I wasn't able to secure an internship this summer so I wanted to come up with ideas for projects.

One of my project ideas is creating a police speed gun that uses LIDAR to measure the speed at which a vehicle is moving. I was thinking of buying a LIDAR sensor to measure the vehicles speed and using a microcontroller to perform the logic of calculating the speed and displaying it onto an LCD screen. I know I could also use a doppler radar sensor to also to measure speed, but I want to know if this is possible with LIDAR sensors.

These are some of the LIDAR sensors I was thinking of using:

TF03 Long-Distance LiDAR Module (100m)

LIDAR-Lite v3HP

LIDAR-Lite v3

I know the range and accuracy of the gun is going to be significantly worse than an actual police speed gun due to the LIDAR sensor. Despite this, would this project be possible to implement with the given sensors to some degree? I appreciate all the responses.

danadak

Feb 19, 2021
I googled "lidar speed gun", got lots of hits.

Regards, Dana.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I know the range and accuracy of the gun is going to be significantly worse than an actual police speed gun due to the LIDAR sensor.
Not sure why you'd want to make something 'inferior' and with potential errors?? plus the attendant difficulties working with a device that wasn't intended for that purpose?

Wouldn't it be more useful to try to improve on existing designs or maybe design something considerably cheaper that others might be interested in?

bidrohini

Feb 1, 2023
You can procced with these sensors. I think you have to work on trial and error basis to see which one gives the best accuracy.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Lidar uses pulsed laser light return time,very accurate, the only way to make it inaccurate would be in the program you write for the microcontroller.