Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power Supply for Car Radio

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
From a newbie: I would like to know the maximum amps that most car radio's use. The radio I'm working with is a Pioneer KEH-1300. Any help would appreciated.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
From a newbie: I would like to know the maximum amps that most car radio's use. The radio I'm working with is a Pioneer KEH-1300. Any help would appreciated.

it will depend on the wattage rating of the system, efficiency of the system etc

I can find no info online for the Pioneer KEH-1300 .... sure you typed that correctly ?

Dave

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
it will depend on the wattage rating of the system, efficiency of the system etc

I can find no info online for the Pioneer KEH-1300 .... sure you typed that correctly ?
yeah the radio is a Pioneer KEH-1300 I also tried looking for specs, all I know is that, of course, the system runs on 12volts times ??amps = ??watts

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
so how many amps do most car radio's use, when being to listened to at normal listening level?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
yeah the radio is a Pioneer KEH-1300 I also tried looking for specs, all I know is that, of course, the system runs on 12volts times ??amps = ??watts

so does it have a watts per channel on a label on the unit ?

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
so does it have a watts per channel on a label on the unit ?
being a newbie I don't know what you mean by "watts per channel"

the radio literally has no specs whatsoever except for the brand name and series

one of the major things is that after doing the research I think that the KEH-1300 was made in the 1990's

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
being a newbie I don't know what you mean by "watts per channel"

just about every brand of sound system that I know has a label on it stating make, model, voltage, watts per channel, serial number and other bits of info

photo any labels on it and post them in here sharp and well lit so they can be read

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
the radio literally has no specs whatsoever except for the brand name and series

so it doesn't have this label on it like this one I found ?

upload_2017-4-4_12-15-4.png

there's big scratches through the power rating
going by the French version it looks like 20W x 4

so it has 4 channels out they will likely be left and right for front and back speakers

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sires . . . . .

All Maxxxxed out . . .at VOLUMUS MAXXXXXIMUS . . . . it will be pulling 10 AMPS thru the 12VDC power wire coming into the radio.
This, considering that you are additionally stomping the floorboard and keeing time to the music by beating on the dash.

SPECS :

Pioneer DEH-1300 Specs.png

73's de Edd

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
You might find a 13.8VDC/10A power supply. I notice that it has an old cassette tape player that I have not used for about 25 years and it won't play CDs or MP3s.

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
the vid contains additional questions :D you answered my main question I was half hoping I could use an old 3.25A 12V power supply I have :D

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
the vid contains additional questions :D you answered my main question I was half hoping I could use an old 3.25A 12V power supply I have :D

At very low volume levels that power supply might work, but you'd want to be VERY careful not to overload it.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Ben King. . . . . . . .

With what you have shown us, looks like you are in luck, since this unit goes back to the 90’s and you did not show the presence of the deluxe, SEPARATE Power amplifier pack.

Therefore . . . it must not have been pulled from an ‘ole Catarack, Rincon Contirental or Mercy-days.

I have given you snippets of the connections of the foil side of the PCB proper which you were running your fingers over.
The proper plug and wiring harness which would have been used on the unit.
With the third part . . . being the concerned section of the schematic.

So it looks like the use of 7 “wars” connected to the unit, along with an antenna, might have that lil’ puppy yelping again . . .with glee.

RED for power
BLACK for ground
PINK for constant power for electronics u/p memory retention
4 wires being used for the Front Left and Right speakers.

IF this is NOT just someone’s cast away non-working radio.

Query me if there is something not understood and also explain your planned operation . . . to catch you prior to possibly making any boo-boo’s.

UNITS TECHNO REFERENCING:

PWDSbRA.png

http://i.imgur.com/PWDSbRA.png

73s de Edd

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017

Sir Ben King. . . . . . . .

With what you have shown us, looks like you are in luck, since this unit goes back to the 90’s and you did not show the presence of the deluxe, SEPARATE Power amplifier pack.

Therefore . . . it must not have been pulled from an ‘ole Catarack, Rincon Contirental or Mercy-days.

I have given you snippets of the connections of the foil side of the PCB proper which you were running your fingers over.
The proper plug and wiring harness which would have been used on the unit.
With the third part . . . being the concerned section of the schematic.

So it looks like the use of 7 “wars” connected to the unit, along with an antenna, might have that lil’ puppy yelping again . . .with glee.

RED for power
BLACK for ground
PINK for constant power for electronics u/p memory retention
4 wires being used for the Front Left and Right speakers.

IF this is NOT just someone’s cast away non-working radio.

Query me if there is something not understood and also explain your planned operation . . . to catch you prior to possibly making any boo-boo’s.

UNITS TECHNO REFERENCING:

PWDSbRA.png

http://i.imgur.com/PWDSbRA.png

73s de Edd

which one would the antenna or is there an antana

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Ben King . . . . . . . .

Look just across the rear of the radio . . . . from our present area of interest, of the plug for the wiring harness . . . . there you should find a black doggle hanging there . . . . with its internal Motorola receptacle .

Trace down its end connection going inside of the radio and where it solders onto the board circuitry. You should additionally be able to solder tack on about 4 feet of hook up wire and route outside of the radio to fulfill for an ersatz antenna for testing purposes.

Plus . . . . you only have too hook up one speaker to initially see if you have a working radio.
The radio should only be pulling 1/4 of an amp of power at no volume and then increase incrementally as you up the volume level and finally, just lock at the max level possible . . . . . with your last gasp of supply power current availability

ANTENNA CONNECTOR :

Motorola plug.png

73s de Edd

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
thank you guys for answering my questions it was very much apreciated

Ben King

Apr 4, 2017
I actually have one more question :D :p would 3.25A cut it for "normal listening level"

(you don't have to answer this :p)