Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Power pack.

tom murray

Jun 16, 2016
Hi,
I'm new to this. I'm hoping to build a power pack to go fishing. there are a few people selling them and its basically a plastic box with a battery inside with usb connections on the outside. could anyone give me advise on what materials I need to build one ie batteries. Thank you.

Attachments

• power pack.jpg
    power pack.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 56

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I can't, but don't want you to think we're ignoring you. Maybe somebody else will see your post soon and give you
the information you need.
I would just like to run a couple questions by you that might help others, help you.
You said you want USB connections on it.
Are you running a computer from it, just communications devices, a sound system for music?
What exactly are you going to power it with.
My other input is:
Considering the environmental application, I would try to find USB connectors that have covers and watertight
seals, to prevent damage if it gets wet. Also, I would consider access for recharging. If you intend to simply open
the enclosure to recharge, no problem. If you intend to not open it for recharge, be sure to find watertight connectors
for recharging connector inputs.
Hope someone gives you advice on battery type soon.
Nice project.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi,
I'm new to this. I'm hoping to build a power pack to go fishing. there are a few people selling them and its basically a plastic box with a battery inside with usb connections on the outside. could anyone give me advise on what materials I need to build one ie batteries. Thank you.
I'll pipe in a little info as well... but I would really like to hear from you to determine how *exactly* you want it to work.

What is the intent of this battery pack?
Is it only for powering USB devices?
How long do you want it to last?
How many outputs do you want?
Is weight a concern?

Things to look into:
- Build materials, professional types of cases... or tupperware ;)
- Battery types.
'Lead-Acid' is pretty easy to work with, but is kind of heavy and is 12V.
'NiCd' and 'NiMh' batteries in various sizes are all 1.2V and again... very easy to work with.
Lithium based cells... These are the best... lighter, and hold more energy for the size/weight... They are 3.7V. But they are harder to work with. You *must* have a proper charge controller or these batteries run the risk of actually catching fire! They are also much easier to 'damage' by accidental under/over charge than the above cells. Some may say the risks are worth it though, as long as you take care of them. These are the types of batteries in newer cordless drills, laptops, and ALL cellular phones that people carry in their pocket.

You can combine multiple batteries to get a higher voltage easy enough. (Of the same type!)
You can use 'Voltage' regulators, and buck/boost converters to change the voltage... ie, 3.7V battery <Converter> 5V USB output. or 12V battery <Converter> 5V USB output.

Share the details of what you *want*, not what someone else has already done, and we can help you get there.