Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Portable motion detection alarm system

atog254

Feb 28, 2010
I need to design and build a portable alarm system.

Thinking of using a 2 light motion detection light from Home Depot or Lowes, disconnecting one light to be used for the siren circuit. Battery backup would be plus!

I will be traveling soon, and would like to protect my tools/space with a simple plug-in portable alarm system.

I am a DIY, but not with electronic circuits or parts needed.

Thanks for any assistance and suggestion.

Steve C. (1st State)
[email protected]...

thefif

Jan 9, 2010
that's not a bad idea. (sounds like something i would do)
but you should look for one that runs off of DC. the average security light you'll find at lowes/homedepot would run off of AC. and that would work but it would get complicated and make it less than 'portable'.
but i don't really know, you might be able to find one there that not only runs off DC but also has a solar batt. maintainer
(not that it would help much if your inside)

hope i helped

ADD: now that i read your question again, would portable mean that you can un-plug it and go plug it in somewhere else?(like holtel-room to holtel-room)
in that case then if you can find a siren/buzzer that ran off AC it would be simpler to use a regular AC then trying to find a DC one.

Last edited:

CoCoMan

Feb 11, 2010
The original poster did not specifically require DC, but it is entirely possible to build the the whole gadget to run on dc current. Obviously, the hard part, and the one that offers the most problems, is the motion detector. Get that part right, you can hook up anything you want. The only dc motion detector I know of is a low voltage (3.3 - 5 volts) dc one from Parallax... I suggest using a 90+dB, 12V dc warbling tone loud horn and rigging by relay to the Parallax. The motion detector would then of course need a LM317 chip to regulate the supply voltage from 12 volts down to 5 volts. The only drawback is that the detector sometimes tends to give false alarms, which may create a "boy-cried-wolf" senario. I know, I have one of these.

atog254

Feb 28, 2010
Using a standard motion detection light purchased from Home Depot or Lowes powered by 110 v AC. One of the two lights will be removed and the exposed wires (110 AC) used to power the siren when activated. Mount everything on a piece of plywood and place in corner of room / garage / etc as needed and can be loaded at end of project - moved to next location just by unplugging the system and winding up the cord.

KISS, hell the hard part is going to the lumber yard for the motion detection light!

I can see I need to drop the voltage to 9-12 volts DC or something similar to run the siren.. The system even re-sets it's self.