Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Photo sensor controlled outlet (turns on or off at daylight or nightime)

Rayl333

Jun 24, 2018
Going to use this to directly power a 240 volt ac motor to run a gear-track assembly to open and close greenhouse insulation panels day and night automatically.

Here's the photo sensor ac outlet assembly. The left outlet is for daytime power control and the right outlet is for night power control.
F44N6HXHS5Q8QI9.LARGE.jpg

It's a reversible motor that this is going to be wired to and pretty sure can wire it to run both ways without need for a DPDT relay in between. A lot of motors say interchange red & black wires to run in reverse. Since with this design, just one circuit would be operating at a time & I can run red-black wires to one outlet & black-red to the other on same circuit. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

AC motor wiring label - pointing to "for cw rot..interchange red & black". I would have a pair of red & black wires running to both separate outlets.
reversing17.jpg

Please answer if direct wiring is possible to ac motor or do I need the DPDT relay in between. Relay would be a Newark RJD2ADPDT 240 v ac solid state relay with 24 volt input. Thanks.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Swapping the red/black wires is, as noted, the way to go.

Also, how do the motors know when to stop? I presume that they incorporate their own end-stop switches?

Rayl333

Jun 24, 2018
Yes kellys_eye, the only other electronic devices needed are limit/snap switches (wall mounted) to stop the motor once it reaches the end of it's track when insulation panel assembly closes, and releases to power back on for next cycle when insulation panel assembly opens.

Was going to use a 365 day programmable timer with 2 relay outputs but this design doesn't need programming, operates even on a leap year & is much cheaper. So simple, elegant & versatile - this has become both one of my favorite electronic projects as well as devices. Thanks!

In case your interested, here's the link for instructions on how to assemble:
PHOTO SENSOR CONTROLLED OUTLET (TURNS ON OR OFF AT DAYLIGHT OR NIGHTIME)

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I'd put a great big label on the box warning of 'SWAPPED NEUTRALS (or lines)' to stop anyone using the box for any other purpose (and cover yourself for litigation if someone did).