Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Pen drive smd component identification

Mori_

Nov 21, 2022
Hello Everybody

A 3-pin smd component with marking CFDBAA (C is overlined and AA is underlined) in Sony USB 3 pen drive board gets too hot; please, see the attached photo.

Can anyone identify this part?

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_202357772~2.jpg
    IMG_20221119_202357772~2.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Mori_

Nov 21, 2022
Hello Everybody

A 3-pin smd component with marking CFDBAA (C is overlined and AA is underlined) in Sony USB 3 pen drive board gets too hot; please, see the attached photo.

Can anyone identify this part?

Thank you in advance.
P.S. It doesn't behave like a common transistor when tested in-circuit with a multimeter; I don't get the usual 0.6-0.7 diode forward voltage readings. Also, the part notation printed on the silk screen says "U1" which is usually used for IC's.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
3 pin device near the USB port could be a voltage regulator, probably a low-drop regulator from 5V (USB) to 3.3 V (internal voltage of the pen). A quick internet search suggests the manufacturer of the chip was Anachip, now acquired by Diodes. But I couldn't fin more information with my quick search.
Check input and output voltages. If they match my hunch, the chip is propbably o.k.

Mori_

Nov 21, 2022
3 pin device near the USB port could be a voltage regulator, probably a low-drop regulator from 5V (USB) to 3.3 V (internal voltage of the pen). A quick internet search suggests the manufacturer of the chip was Anachip, now acquired by Diodes. But I couldn't fin more information with my quick search.
Check input and output voltages. If they match my hunch, the chip is propbably o.k.
Hello Herald,

I'm actually surprised how you could look it up in the net by a quick search I also looked it up using google and found no trace what so ever.

Anyway, I very much appreciated your input. I will follow the lead you've provided. Thank you so much.

Cheers

Mori_

Nov 21, 2022
Hello Harald,

You were absolutely correct. The component was indeed a 5 to 3.3 converter/regulator, and it seems to be working normally. I guess the main memory chip is the issue.

Thank you again, and kind regards.