Maker Pro
Maker Pro

peakelec ESR70 measuring battery internal resistance

smilem

Jan 5, 2013
Hello I have peakelec ESR 70.

I ask if it's true 100khz meter:

peakelec replies

1. I can confirm that the Atlas ESR (models ESR60 and ESR70) do measure the true ESR at 100kHz. It applies a test signal of exactly 100kHz and measures the true ESR and ignores the capacitor's reactance (unlike many other ESR meters).

I ask if it's possible to measure battery internal resistance

peakelec replies

2. It is possible to measure the ESR of batteries if a series capacitor is used. See attachment.

Attachments

• Measuring-ESR-of-a-battery.gif
    Measuring-ESR-of-a-battery.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 417

smilem

Jan 5, 2013
I have made the circuit to measure ers of batteries.
I've used 10uF 35V Rubycon cap (ESR 0.30), and 47K resistor 5%.

Questions:

1. How to zero out the wire resistance? The Atlas meter is zeroes out OK, but that can't be done while meter is connected to this circuit. What am I doing wrong?

2. Is 5% resistor OK, do I need 1%?

3. The internal resistance of typical lead acid batteries is 4.22 milliohm, that's 0.00422ohm
The ESR70 resolutions is only 0.01ohm so how can peakelec claim it can measure internal resistanceo of batteries????

Some batteries like sms100f have 2.81 milliohm that's 0.00422ohm that's 0.00281

Michael Studio1

Jan 5, 2018
Peake's excellent little measuring devices - I have two, the ESR70 (caps) and DCA55(X'istors) Unfortunately they were unused for about three years and the DCA55 just didn't turn on. I decided to get a new one - they're so compact inside working on them is for elves. One thing I found with the new DCA55 - they've changed the Battery to a standard AA type. Excellent move! I haven't thrown out the defunct DCA55 but what is the best thing to do with it?

Michael.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
As good as the Peak Atlas stuff might be they cannot compete with the simple 'Chinese' multi-testers. Not sure if anyone has done an actual comparison on them but it would be an interesting exercise all the same.

My cheap tester (I now have three - two ordered in error!) does L, C, R, ESR, all forms of transistor, diode, FET, thyristor, triac etc and only cost (IIRC) around £10. The Peak Electronic devices - that only do 'one' of each type test - are (or were) headed towards the £100 EACH figure. No surprise that hardly anyone uses them these days.