Connect with us

PCB hardware?

Discussion in 'Electronic Equipment' started by [email protected], Sep 13, 2005.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Guest

    I'm designing a system that uses two PCBs that connect together with
    Samtec QSE-DP connectors. I need some sort of mechanical latch system
    that will allow quick connect/disconnect and provide some mechanical
    Does that exist? Short of using a 10-32 screw with a butterfly nut, I'm
    coming up empty. Google searches reveal nothing.
    I am not looking for quick disconnect connectors, just some sort of
    latch or PCB mountable PEM nut.
  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I don't know about the mechanical stability you need, but depending
    upon how often you need to separate the PWBs, I have seen Panduit Ties
    used as a means of holding a connector together. Sometimes there are
    holes in the PWB or the size of the PWB allows the tying over the outer
    edges. There are also many Nylon standoffs that have a locking tab that
    latches on to both PWBs through holes in the boards.
  3. Guest

    Thanks for the reply. I should be a bit more specific: the second board
    is three times as large as the first board. Its purpose is to break out
    a bunch of signals to SMA connectors. So it doesn't need more than a
    few pounds of retaining strength.
    It should be a single point of attachment with a simple hand-oprated
    mechanism. I don't want people to have to look for a tool.
    My backup plan is nylon screws with some sort of surface mountable
    bolts. I will lose PCB space and it will be unwieldy.
    "There are also many Nylon standoffs that have a locking tab"
    I think you mean those nylon mounts for motherboards, right? You still
    need a tool to squish the nylon, but if I can find who makes those,
    maybe they make a big one and I can squeeze it by hand.
    Back to the Google...
  4. Robert Baer

    Robert Baer Guest

    There are nylon screws that work with a screwdriver, and also can be
    pushed in by hand; sounds almost opposite of what you describe, but...
    ....maybe they can also be pushed out.
    Then there are nylon panel fasteners that can snap in and be pushed
    out if the hole is reasonably matched to the fastener.
    For example, see Mouser 561-SCR252050 (1/4-20 "spin-clips" 0.5 long)
    and similar parts, as well as Mouser 561-RT1870 (rachet fastener, 0.187
    hole size, panel thickness 0.025-0.365) and similar.
    They also have "key-hole clips" 561-Y1250125 (and similar) as well
    as a variety of rivet variants.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day