Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Oscilloscope for dummies.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
hi guys/girls, I am fed up with Youtube videos omitting very important steps while connecting and disconnecting the probes. I understand the ground issues. That is all very clear.
I have 2 oscilloscopes. 1 analogue and 1 digital. My analog is a 4 ch, 200mhz Fluke. My digital is a cheap chinese Owan 100mhz.
I have the basics but, is there a great tutorial somewhere in the midst ?. This request also refers to sig/func generators.
I can work my way around them until they all get connected together!. I am at your mercy. Can we have a ‘Sticky’ 101 for different test gear?.

Martin

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi guys/girls, I am fed up with Youtube videos omitting very important steps while connecting and disconnecting the probes. I understand the ground issues. That is all very clear.
I have 2 oscilloscopes. 1 analogue and 1 digital. My analog is a 4 ch, 200mhz Fluke. My digital is a cheap chinese Owan 100mhz.
I have the basics but, is there a great tutorial somewhere in the midst ?. This request also refers to sig/func generators.
I can work my way around them until they all get connected together!. I am at your mercy. Can we have a ‘Sticky’ 101 for different test gear?.

Martin

I was looking for and didn't find a specific question(s)

Braeden Hamson

Feb 18, 2016
Some general tips then?

The most important thing is that oscilloscopes do not measure across components. They measure from ground to a point that had a higher voltage than ground.

Make sure you're on DC or AC coupling where appropriate. Make sure your scope know what your probe comp is. Be it 1X 10X etc.

Calibrate your probes using the onboard square wave generator.

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
Braeden Hamsom said:
The most important thing is that oscilloscopes do not measure across components.
Wrong, they do. (Or you can do it, more specifically speaking)
It just depend on where you connect the negative terminal of the measuring probe