Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old module does not work

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
A 480 range is going to be Celsius. It's possible that pushing in the knob will access a menu to change to F if you want, then upper range limit would be around 896F.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
Thanks, Dave. The temp was just right. After, I tried the module and IT WORKS!!!! I cant believe it! I never did this before, and this happened because all the guys here helped out!! This is such a great forum. Thanks again, people! (The car lives on.....so few of these cars around have headlight doors that still work.)

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
So I assume it was dry joints somewhere in the module...??

Since I am so new at this I have no idea, other than they appeared to be intact/no splits, etc to my naked eye. You guys would know more. I guess they call it dry joints. Learned something.

narkeleptk

Oct 3, 2019
Since I am so new at this I have no idea, other than they appeared to be intact/no splits, etc to my naked eye. You guys would know more. I guess they call it dry joints. Learned something.
I've always herd it referred to as a "cold joint".

Glad to hear the reflow fixed it.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
On an older vehicle where it presumably worked past the warranty period, probably more of a stress or heat induced crack rather than cold joint. I don't know when GM switched to lead free solder but at that point, the problem is bound to get worse... except, I don't know, maybe vehicles are exempt from ROHS lead free mandates? I do know that I'm using leaded solder whenever I work on one, and wire management is important, can't have harnesses flopping around with every vehicle vibration.

Josie

May 11, 2021
It is usually better to *first* ask (or search for as I did to find the link below) automotive circuit questions in a forum for the respective model and generation of vehicle, where fellow owners have probably already encountered the fault once a vehicle gets older, and may have wiring diagrams to show you where to probe for loss of power (or a voltage drop across a now-resistive portion of the circuit), or if it is getting all the way to the motor and then either motor or mechanism jambed or gears stripped.

This type of headlight benefits greatly from lubrication to decrease strain, and power needed to actuate. I would do that first since it needs done anyway if you haven't already.

Here's a topic:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech-general-engine/216154-87-92-firebird-headlight.html

Thanks for this link! I found many useful answers for myself, since I bought a new car and I just can't figure it out (

With&Respect
Jossy
employee monitoring

narkeleptk

Oct 3, 2019
except, I don't know, maybe vehicles are exempt from ROHS lead free mandates? I do know that I'm using leaded solder whenever I work on one, and wire management is important, can't have harnesses flopping around with every vehicle vibration.
They are all lead free for a long time now from what i see which is nice imo. I prefer to avoid lead when ever I can. I'm much to sloppy to have to worry about proper handling of it.

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
^ Exposure to it is minimal as long as you don't breathe the fumes, which you don't want to do with lead-free solder either due to the flux.

IMO, vehicles are exactly where leaded solder should be used, an application where failure can lead to deadly accidents.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
People,

Have a 1987 Sunbird GT,with headlight "doors" that open and close via a module controller. A similar one is here, at about 6- 1/2 minutes into the video:

The video shows the solder joints for the pin connectors may be old/bad, and he resolders it. But mine has no visible cracks/bad spots. is there a way to troubleshoot the pins via an ohmmeter/other device?

I hate to indiscriminitely start heating up joints with no clear goal. never done this before.

Thanks, people.

Wow, the old module lasted over a year after resoldering some joints with the guidance of the members here, but has failed again. I have pulled up my thread from last year, and was hoping some people here could take a look at the video in this post, and starting at 8:15 in video, "grounding lugs", he is resoldering them.

I looked at my module and one grounding lug is blackened, and smells burnt, surrounded by brownish discoloration. I hope that is all that is wrong, so I am going to re heat/solder this lug/pin thingy. My right headlight door works, but not my left. I dont know what the 2 lugs do (maybe one for each right/left door?). Anyway, comments always appreciated.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
Show a clear photo of your board problem
I was afraid of that, as I am so bad at posting pictures- but I will ask help from my son, he is good at that. Could be a day or so, but meanwhile, the picture will not show much different than the youtube video, at the 8:15 mark. Only difference will be some brownish discoloration, as I mentioned. Does the video not come up? I actually did not try it, I assumed it would record for yous.

roughshawd

Jul 13, 2020
Great vid, took a while to reach the repair but the car is nice...! re-itterate. Regular cheap electrical solder, usually works fine, but things like motor relays usually require a stronger and higher silver content solder that requires a bit hotter than normal iron. This stuff was built by a robot that has a tip that was designed to flow the heavier solder without overheating the board or melting the bonding agent between the plating and the PCB. It takes a robot about .6 of a second to put this together, do you think you can move that fast? Then turn up the heat, get a good drop on your tip and apply to the connector, and not to the board. the solder will flow to the board when the solder there melts... just a pointer in the right direction>>>>> low heat to board>>>>high heat to connecting lug.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
pictures: The 1st 2 are just at different angles, showing the burnt spot on the ground lug. the last picture is the back side of that area, burnt spot around that same ground lug. Hope that helps. What does a ground lug do, and why does it smell burnt?

Attachments

• IMG-0103.JPG
    IMG-0103.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-0104.JPG
    IMG-0104.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG-0105.JPG
    IMG-0105.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 4

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
Great vid, took a while to reach the repair but the car is nice...! re-itterate. Regular cheap electrical solder, usually works fine, but things like motor relays usually require a stronger and higher silver content solder that requires a bit hotter than normal iron. This stuff was built by a robot that has a tip that was designed to flow the heavier solder without overheating the board or melting the bonding agent between the plating and the PCB. It takes a robot about .6 of a second to put this together, do you think you can move that fast? Then turn up the heat, get a good drop on your tip and apply to the connector, and not to the board. the solder will flow to the board when the solder there melts... just a pointer in the right direction>>>>> low heat to board>>>>high heat to connecting lug.

So, this connector is the ground lug, right? Do you agree that the lug in my photos is bad/burnt? What could cause that, roughshaw? The old rusty door motor that would not turn correctly (which I have since restored)?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
I bought a '89 Sunbird GT for my wife's first car. She loved the turbo power and often said, '"Why is everybody so far behind?"
The headlight doors worked fine for the many years that we had the car.

noquacks

Jun 26, 2013
I bought a '89 Sunbird GT for my wife's first car. She loved the turbo power and often said, '"Why is everybody so far behind?"
The headlight doors worked fine for the many years that we had the car.
Was it a MT or an AT?

Audioguru

Sep 24, 2016
The '89 Sunbird turbo had an automatic transmission that worked fine and was reliable.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
W
So, this connector is the ground lug, right?
Well, it does connect to the tab of the transistor which is usually the collector of the transistor, same as the centre pin of the 3 pins, (depending on type model etc) ..............BUT that track is not connected to anything else aside from the transistor tab.
So in this instance the track is for heatsink purposes.
If burnt, it means crap mechanical connection between the transistor tab and the underneath track.
Drill out the rivet (carefully), scratch up the track surface at the back for good thermal conductivity, fit a screw and a nut preferably brass but whatever.
If you use basic steel screw and nut, be sure it doesn't foul anywhere when placed back in it's housing and best to coat with some circuit protection varnish after it is bolted up.
If the track is burnt beyond where a screw would make contact, solder in an addition piece of shim brass or copper.