Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Old CRT cathode Tubes

Electro132

Feb 12, 2013
hi,

Is it true that old tv CRT tubes use electrons to beam an image? If so, how can i put an IC with an image on it to be amplified and out through it?

I mean if i amplify wouldn't that mean i'm imprinting it or making a mark like fire on wood?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I'm not sure what you're asking to do, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "with some difficulty".

All A CRT can do is place a bright spot on the screen. Various voltages (and/or currents) allow that point to be moved and its intensity changed. By doing this very fast you can make it appear that there is an image on the screen (but there's really only a very fast moving dot)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'm THINKING what you're asking is explained by the term CRT (cathode ray tube).
The CRT is just a big vacuum tube. As is the case with vacuum tubes, you use a heater in the end of the neck of the CRT to 'boil-off' electrons, they're accelerated and the beam is steered through the neck of the tube by electron guns, and grids (all those various voltages and currents *steve* talked about) to strike the phosphor aquadag coating the inside of the face of the tube (the 'picture screen').
So in answer to your question. (I think), the CRT did it, because it was a vacuum tube designed to produce light..
What you're thinking (I believe), is digital storage of images on an integrated circuit.
The old CRT is a different animal. It was designed to produce light, all the rest of the
circuitry decoded signals that could be displayed on a CRT.
(Feel free, co-members, to better explain this, if I misinterpreted the question)

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
There was a time many years ago when I thought it would be cool to program a micro from scratch to produce and analog image on a traditional TV or monitor... After a few days of headaches looking over what was required that project was shelved as no longer fun :)

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
There are some people on the Microchip forum that have done wonders with that. All you need out of the micro is a few resistors to produce composite video! People have done PAL and NTSC and even VGA. Some really clever coding, using the SPI port get the fast bit rate.

Bob

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
There are some people on the Microchip forum that have done wonders with that. All you need out of the micro is a few resistors to produce composite video! People have done PAL and NTSC and even VGA. Some really clever coding, using the SPI port get the fast bit rate.

Yeah some of those PIC projects is what go me interested, especially these... Such a low power micro yet a viable game and video out...