Connect with us

Needing a sealing resin

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Keng, Jun 29, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Keng

Keng

Apr 12, 2013
    Hi guys, can someone point in the right direction to find a sealing resin to put a circuit? My idea is put the resin or something that get dry to protect the circuit from the elements. I know that this exist but I dont know how is called and were to find it. Maybe is a two parts resin? Or like gum? Thanks...

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    If you put the circuit in resin you wont be able to do anything with it if it needs reparing. What about conformal coating, would this work instead?
    Adam

Keng likes this.
  3. Keng

Keng

Apr 12, 2013
    Thanks Arouse, normally this circuit dosent fail, if fail I can replace it, is not a big deal. The conformal coating will protect the electronics from water and elements?

4. Keng

Keng

Apr 12, 2013
    I find it, I think.

I will like to use something like this.

Can I find this in a home depot? I leave in lauderhill florida and working in the doral area...

5. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Yes it will. Its like a water proof coating. You can get it spray cans. If you do use it you need to put the PCB in the oven for an hour to dry it out.
    Adam

Keng likes this.
  6. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Not sure I am in the UK.

7. ver chan

ver chan

Jun 27, 2015
    you can use silicon sealant, these kind of stuff is commonly used in joining glass for aquarium.

8. ver chan

ver chan

Jun 27, 2015
    if you want to protect your circuit, put it in the right enclosure.

9. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    hevans1944 likes this.
  10. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    If normal waterproofing is all you need, then an acrylic or urethane spray should be enough. Note that flexing the board might crack the protective film after it dries. The problems with the sprays are making sure it gets into all of the nooks and crannies, and *not* on connector pins. That is good enough for many military applications. Next up is a waterproof enclosure. Again, the connectors are a challenge, so you have to use ones that are sealed to IP67. Switchcraft makes low cost sealed connectors for boats. Last is potting, a messy business that bets into differential coefficients of expansion. Super rugged, explosion proof, relatively expensive and messy.

ak

11. KJ6EAD

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
    Potting is a cleaner operation than conformal coating unless you screw it up. I mount the PCB in a potting box and vacuum degas pre and post pot. The only mess is the disposable mixing container, stirring sticks and a pair of nitrile gloves.

12. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    I usually use conformal coating, at least you have a chance to repair it if it fails later, there is a solvent for removal.
    Potting usually result in destruction if you need to replace a part later.
    M.

13. Keng

Keng

Apr 12, 2013
    That is right, I am using epoxy two parts. Sealed very well but impossible to repair

Thanks... Is good to have some options...

I know that some kind of sealant is like a silicone that seal very well and is not that hard to remove, you can remove it with a knife.

14. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    Some silicone sealants give off acetic acid, this will devour the circuit.

Ask a Question