Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MY SUPER OLD SCHOOL 35MM MOVIE CAMERA NEEDS HELP!

jabbar

Jul 27, 2023
Hi Folks,
Newbie here! I recently purchased parts to an old Russian film camera called a Konvas 2M. I would like to get it operational, but I need to know what types of old school connections are on it, so I can get the correct cables and adapters to supply power and control the fare rate so I can get it up and running.
Pics 1,2, and 3 of the rectangular box with the two 20-PIN connections (they kind of like old school VGA connections) are to a separate speed regulator that makes sure that controls the speed of the camera's motor. One 20-pin is male (on bottom), the other 20-pin is female (on top). If I was a betting man, I would guess that DC power comes into the regulator via the 20-pin is male plug (on bottom), passes through the regulator then exits through the 20-pin female on top. The power then moves on from the regulator to the camera's removable motor (pic 4). The motor is connected to the innards of the film gate on the camera and operates the pull-down claw, which moves the film through the camera at the speed dictated by the regulator's. You can see the whole motor in Pic 6.

You can see on the motor that there are two inputs, a 10-pin and a 19-pin. I need to know the name of the cables that plug into the motor. I am fairly certain that one of them is supposed to be an input, connecting to the regulator.
How to adapt the 20-PIN male from the regulator to the 10 or 19-pin input on the motor is one of my biggest questions, if this is how the two devices connect.

I am also not sure if one of the connections on the motor goes to a DC battery, or if the motor gets both power and regulation from the regulator.

Just getting the names of these four connections and exactly what they do would be of great service to me.

And finally, picture 5 is a cable with a 19-pin male side and 19-pin female side. It came with the motor and fits nicely into the 19-pin connection.

I included a picture of the camera with the motor assembled, next to regulator if context is needed.

I appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Jabbar Thomas

Attachments

• Pic 7_REAR OF CAMERA WITH FILM GATE AND PULLDOWN CLAW.jpg
    Pic 7_REAR OF CAMERA WITH FILM GATE AND PULLDOWN CLAW.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Pic 5_CABLE FOR MOTOR.jpg
    Pic 5_CABLE FOR MOTOR.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Pic 4_CONNECTIONS TO MOTOR.jpg
    Pic 4_CONNECTIONS TO MOTOR.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Pic 3_SPEED REULATOR.jpg
    Pic 3_SPEED REULATOR.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Pic 2_TOP OF SPEED REGULATOR.jpg
    Pic 2_TOP OF SPEED REGULATOR.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Pic 1_BOTTOM OF SPEED REGULATOR.jpg
    Pic 1_BOTTOM OF SPEED REGULATOR.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Pic 6_CAMERA MOTOR .jpg
    Pic 6_CAMERA MOTOR .jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 2
  • ZZZ_CAMERA ASSEMBLED.jpeg
    ZZZ_CAMERA ASSEMBLED.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 1

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Welcome to Maker Pro.
Definitely out of my 35 mm focal point! Forgive me if you have this already just trying to help.
Because M2 comes 16 mm and M1 comes 35 mm. Then again I have no idea .So here's both.

Attachments

• em-konvas-1m.pdf
    891.4 KB · Views: 3
  • kinor16cx2m_englishmanual.pdf
    4 MB · Views: 5

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
If you could take a photo of the plate that has the information on the camera itself it'd be a big help

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Newbie here! I recently purchased parts to an old Russian film camera called a Konvas 2M. I would like to get it operational, but I need to know what types of old school connections are on it, so I can get the correct cables and adapters to supply power and control the fare rate so I can get it up and running.
Don't wish to be a downer but if you don't have the technical manual to tell you which pin does what and the signal levels they should have then you're on a hiding to nothing.

But if you DO have the manual - you seem confident of your assessment of the parts and operation so far - then it would contain the details of the connectors anyway.

How do 'we' stand given this?

jabbar

Jul 27, 2023
Welcome to Maker Pro.
Definitely out of my 35 mm focal point! Forgive me if you have this already just trying to help.
Because M2 comes 16 mm and M1 comes 35 mm. Then again I have no idea .So here's both.
Thanks for the manual, Delta Prime! I have studied a copy of the 1M manual I found about a year ago, but unfortunately, the answers that I need aren't in the manual. The problem could lie in the fact that most of my issues are with my 35mm Konvas 2M's crystal-sync motor, which is not covered in the manual. I get some wonderful circuit diagrams for the 1M camera body, though. Thank you so much for your help!

jabbar

Jul 27, 2023
If you could take a photo of the plate that has the information on the camera itself it'd be a big help
I will do that and post it, thanks. Most of the writing is in Cyrillic, so I'll have to get it translated. Thanks!

jabbar

Jul 27, 2023
Don't wish to be a downer but if you don't have the technical manual to tell you which pin does what and the signal levels they should have then you're on a hiding to nothing.

But if you DO have the manual - you seem confident of your assessment of the parts and operation so far - then it would contain the details of the connectors anyway.

How do 'we' stand given this?
Hi kellys_eye,

Unfortunately, the only manual that I have been able to find (Konvas 1M) is for a very different model of the camera body. I own a Konvas 2M. The 1M manual doesn't mention the motor that I have at all. The speed regulator looks like a custom job to make a non-sync sound motor run at a perfect 24 frames-per-second, sync sound frame rate.

Most of the information that I have on the camera comes from a guy named Olex in Ukraine. He's one of two technicians on the planet that service Konvas cameras. The other Konvas technician in L.A. (Anatoli) referred me to Olex about this issue just before the war in Ukraine started, and of course, Olex now has bigger fish to fry (he actually sent me pictures of soldiers defending his town). So, it's been a long journey, but I have learned a lot. Most of it is by word of mouth.

Thanks!