Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motors

mattdall69

May 20, 2015
Hello everyone...can you help me. I'm a teacher, so straight from the get-go, money is an issue for components.

I'm building a Line following 'bot with ldrs and transistors. Got everything worked out and built, but I need a small motor with torque to move it (I've built a prototype with solar motors, just to see if electronics work).

Any suggestions on cheap little powerful motors to do job? A link would be nice.

Many thanks.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello Sir :)
How fast do they have to go, and are you going to use any gearing? What is the working voltage and supply current available. What space do you have?
Thanks
Adam

mattdall69

May 20, 2015
Hello there. Its about 200mm x100mm..very light- laser cut acrylic. I have a motor with gearbox, but was hoping to run the wheels straight from motor...I want a slow motor with a bit of strength. A worm gear wont do..or solar.

It'll run from 4.5 - 9 v.

I want to keep I small for costs.

Thank you.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
Hello there. Its about 200mm x100mm..very light- laser cut acrylic. I have a motor with gearbox, but was hoping to run the wheels straight from motor...I want a slow motor with a bit of strength. A worm gear wont do..or solar.

It'll run from 4.5 - 9 v.

I want to keep I small for costs.

Thank you.

An easy option would be to modify some small RC servos. They have fixings for the body and a screw hole for different types of horns, one being circular with holes in them, so you could connect this to a wheel.
Adam

mattdall69

May 20, 2015
Yeh..im not familiar with servos. Do you have a link for me? Much appreciated.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014

mattdall

Mar 2, 2015
Adam, can these be controlled easily enough without a microcontroller?

To the OP.
These line followers, do you have a BillOfMaterials or schematic we can see?

I've built one of these in school and it used an H-bridge IC and a comparator. Is this the same approach you are taking?
Hi there. No i'm just building a prototype. Using darlington pair and solar motor (Two identical circuits, one for each motor.) I've actually got it working, but i could do with a slower motor with more torque?