Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mid 90's Marantz SR-63 Pre-on message problem.

pototo1978

Sep 10, 2009
Hello everybody!
Well I have a mid 90's Marantz A/V SR-63 that freeze after the first relay
'clicks' . When the second 'click' should be and the PRE-ON message should disapear, nothing happens and the PRE-ON message keeps blinking. This started randomly and first I just turned of the unit off and on again , and the problem stoped.
Any one familiar with this unit?
Does anybody have a repair sheet?

:)

Pdenny

Sep 13, 2009
Hello everybody!
Well I have a mid 90's Marantz A/V SR-63 that freeze after the first relay
'clicks' . When the second 'click' should be and the PRE-ON message should disapear, nothing happens and the PRE-ON message keeps blinking. This started randomly and first I just turned of the unit off and on again , and the problem stoped.
Any one familiar with this unit?
Does anybody have a repair sheet?

:)
It sounds as though the unit is going into protect, if so the likely cause is dc voltage on the speaker out.You will not see it on the terminals but will see it befor the speaker out relay. You will need a schematic. However this being a random problem, get access to the bottom of the main pc board. Look for broken and cracked solder joints at and around the amplifier modules (if used) and/or output transistors. Good luck. Post if you still have problems

pototo1978

Sep 10, 2009
Thanks, I did what you told me , I've checked for cracked and broken solder joints. found a couple and repair them. but the problem persist. I should point out that the problem started randomly during use , the sound went off and on with no message. Then It when off and only came back on when I turn off and on the unit. After 2 or 3 times of doing this, the PRE-ON message problem appear. I never got any distortion what so ever, so at first I didn't thought on a amplifier module problem. but now I don't know. I don't know were to get a schematic of this amplifier.

Pdenny

Sep 13, 2009
I went online to look for a users manual.Give me a day to review it. I still think that you have a dc offset problem and it may be comming from the input side of the amplifier. Possibly from the signal switching circuits or the DSP. Do you have acess to a scope and DMM? To make sure that you did indeed fine all of the loose solder connections, with the unit on and not in a protect state. Take a pencil and gently press on the main PCB in a grid pattern if the unit goes into protect then you will need to narrow down the area and chek the connections in the area. Also check and make sure that all of the harness and headers are secure and plugged in properly. Ill try to do some more research on the unit. Good luck! paul