Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Magnetostriction.

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Hi peeps :)
I'd like to try using the magnetostrictive properties of ferrite to move a tiny table - perhaps 50mm^2. I've seen no practical designs.
I'd especially like to hear from anyone with experience in anything similar.

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
I don't have that experience, but others here will likely need to know how far you need to move the table, and in how many dimensions?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I'd like to try using the magnetostrictive properties of ferrite to move a tiny table - perhaps 50mm^2
Magnetostrictive materials are used to convert electromagnetic energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. :)
but others here will likely need to know how far you need to move the table, and in how many dimensions?
What scale are those dimensions
In?
It better be a really small table like maybe 20 molecules thick.
It works best on an nano scale. ...

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
I don't have that experience, but others here will likely need to know how far you need to move the table, and in how many dimensions?
:)
I want to move things several millimeters long by about a micrometer at a time, in 2D. There might be a kg of mass involved.
Other ideas of how to move my load might be useful too.

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Thank you very much for that one, danadak.
I now have a few things to consider - the magnetostrictive method, a "ball screw" (as used in CNC mills), and this linear actuator.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
When I look up "magnetostrictive actuator" I get tons of theoretical article, but no products you can actually buy.
The situation is completely different with "piezoelectric actuators". Have you considered these, too?

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Thank you, Mr Kapp.
I haven't seen anything like that either, but I noticed that the magnetostrictive effect allows very tiny motions to be repeatable. Then, I thought about geometries that might employ a ferrite rod to achieve stepwise motion... I think someone must have tried it.
The piezo actuator solution (also mentioned by danadak) is probably the easiest technology to get up and working.
Thank you all for your responses ~ I'll keep watching the thread.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I haven't seen anything like that either, but I noticed that the magnetostrictive effect allows very tiny motions to be repeatable. Then, I thought about geometries that might employ a ferrite rod to achieve stepwise motion... I think someone must have tried it.
Shucks...Magnetostriction, the strain induced by a change in magnetization, is a universal effect in magnetic materials, Magnetostriction or the underlying magnetoelastic stress can be separated in the time domain, opening the door for an atomistic understanding, better known as quantum physics...

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Hi all!
Double happiness with hot sauce ~ I found a link :)

:https://www.mdpi.com/2076-0825/10/10/266 TV

I'm sure I'm on the Yellow Brick Road by now - although confusingly I'm already in Oz... just catching up on a bit of wizard training (¿)

Thanks for letting me go a bit off-topic. It's making tiny wee bits & pieces too small for ordinary microscopy, that I have in mind for experimentation at the mo', btw.

Mark

poormystic

Jul 23, 2023
Shucks...Magnetostriction, the strain induced by a change in magnetization, is a universal effect in magnetic materials, Magnetostriction or the underlying magnetoelastic stress can be separated in the time domain, opening the door for an atomistic understanding, better known as quantum physics...
Wow, yeah. Y'know, it all makes my mind just boggle, baby.