Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mad resistor bands.??

7Mark7

Jan 25, 2013
Hi all,
I'm new here and hoping some kind soul can help.

It seems it simply can't be googled. :confused:

I need to identify a failed resistor,

The bands are:............. Brown, Black, Silver, Brown , Black.
Or from the other way Black, Brown, Silver, Black, Brown.

It's from a power supply board. Before I can order the other dead parts (transistors) I need to know the value of this one.

Any help will be much appreciated.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Typically, Silver is the .01 multiplier for tolerance.
You'd need a really good ohmeter to read that.
Let me ask, how did the resistor fail? Are you SURE it's a resistor?
Resistors that overheat often cause the painted color bands to change color.
You might be looking at an inductor, ... or even a capacitor anymore.
Does the PCB it came from have a silkscreen designator for the part?
('R' for resistor, 'L' for inductor, 'C' for Capacitor)
Is it in a molded case? Anything in particular you can tell us about it's physical construction?

7Mark7

Jan 25, 2013
Typically, Silver is the .01 multiplier for tolerance.
You'd need a really good ohmeter to read that.
Let me ask, how did the resistor fail? Are you SURE it's a resistor?
Resistors that overheat often cause the painted color bands to change color.
You might be looking at an inductor, ... or even a capacitor anymore.
Does the PCB it came from have a silkscreen designator for the part?
('R' for resistor, 'L' for inductor, 'C' for Capacitor)
Is it in a molded case? Anything in particular you can tell us about it's physical construction?

Thanks for the reply shrtrnd.

It's mad I know. Deffo a resistor, even marked on the board as 'R' .

From what I can make out it blew a small hole in it, probably at the same time as/or resulting from the failed Mosfets. I think it's some kind of fused resistor. I'm lost as to the bands though.

7Mark7

Jan 25, 2013
Sorry, A little bit of background.

The PSB has the usual transformers, inductors, caps, diodes, an NTC.......

Nothing too strange to me (although i'm no expert at all).

It's from my TV at home.

The little board mounted T5 fuse was open circuit, two Mosfets were short circuit.

This resistor is open circuit on every level of my meter, as it probably would be with small hole in the side.

Never come across these bands though.:confused::confused:

Last edited:

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Are you sure its silver? Not grey or white? Resistors use all 3 of these colours so it is only silver if it is actually shiny. Gold and silver are typically only used for multipliers and tolerance and would only appear in bands 4 or 5 of a 5 band code, never anywhere else.

Having said that - even if it was grey or white it is still questionable. Band 5 is the tolerance band which cannot be black - so it must be the other direction (brown = 1%). I've never seen a number value starting with a 0 but its not exactly illegal. Assuming your 'silver' is grey this would be an 18 ohm resistor but the usual way to band this would be brown, grey, black, gold (and brown for your 1% tolerance)

7Mark7

Jan 25, 2013
Are you sure its silver? Not grey or white? Resistors use all 3 of these colours so it is only silver if it is actually shiny. Gold and silver are typically only used for multipliers and tolerance and would only appear in bands 4 or 5 of a 5 band code, never anywhere else.

Having said that - even if it was grey or white it is still questionable. Band 5 is the tolerance band which cannot be black - so it must be the other direction (brown = 1%). I've never seen a number value starting with a 0 but its not exactly illegal. Assuming your 'silver' is grey this would be an 18 ohm resistor but the usual way to band this would be brown, grey, black, gold (and brown for your 1% tolerance)

Hi Raven,

I completely understand what you are saying, and appreciate the reply.

I've just taken a picture with my phone and lit it up with a torch to help see the colours.

If someone can tell me how to get it from my phone to here, I'll post the pic.

Thanks.

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Can you plug your phone into a USB port on your computer? If so it should hopefully show up an an external drive and you can upload the file using the options in this forum

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
As shrtrnd already said, silver in the 3rd band is a multiplier of 0.01, which means brown black silver is a 0.1 Ohm resistor, which will probably read as 0 on your multimeter even if it is not shorted.

Bob

7Mark7

Jan 25, 2013
https://www.electronicspoint.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=7064&stc=1&d=1359151587

Sorry guys.

Took me ages.
Now its the wrong size.:confused:

No hang on ....it works if you click the thumbnail.

As you'll see the black band on the left is hard to see from the pic. Both browns are deffo the same shade in real life, and the centre band is what I would call Silver.
The hole in it is on the other side.

Has anyone seen anything like it.?????

Attachments

• IMG_20130125_202343.jpg
    IMG_20130125_202343.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

gorgon

Jun 6, 2011
The problem with this picture is that there should not be a black at the end or a silver in the middle.

Silver is a /100 value, but in the wrong position for a 5 ring component. If you discard the last black ring the value is 0.1 ohm 1%.
Black is not a valid tolerance ring(last) or first digit. Silver is not a valid 3rd digit in a 5 ring code.

Everything is a bit confusing, even for one that has been in the trade for almost 40 years.

How old is this unit?

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
Went back and read the fist post again.

If its failed then trying to measure it is useless.
You say a hole was blown in it. I've never known that to happen to a resistor - they tend to blister and burn. The only things I've manage to blow holes in are semiconductor devices like transistors and diodes.

Can you take a picture of the hole?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
........You say a hole was blown in it. I've never known that to happen to a resistor - they tend to blister and burn. ..........
Can you take a picture of the hole?

Ohhhh I have seen a few resistors over the years that have had a hole blown in them
It would commonly be the ones that had a spiral of carbon/metal film and they would just pop like a fuse somewhere along the spiral and leave a small hole in the enamel coating

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My thought is that it might be an inductor, and the failure might well match what has been explained (but not yet seen).

Very unusual to see bands so close to both ends...