Connect with us

LED Numerical Display Circuit

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by newintown, Dec 3, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. newintown

newintown

Dec 3, 2012
    THe project consists of 28 double digit numerical displays wired in series. They must be programmed to display 56 different numerical series. i.e., #1- 0-1-2-3-4-5-.... #2- 00-10-20-30-...#3- A combination of #1/#2, etc.

The circuit must have a keypad or program selector with an alpha numerical display screen.
    Each LED module can be mounted on an individual board. Even though I took a couple of electronic classes in college, never had on hands experience.

Can anyone help? :)

2. Raven Luni

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
    By series I assume you mean they are driven by a serial data output. That many LEDs connected in series and your project would be humped :p

3. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    This is a microcontroller project for sure. What is your level of experience? In electronics, microcontrollers, and programming?

Bob

4. newintown

newintown

Dec 3, 2012
    Cero Experience

Hi Bob, Thanks for your reply. I have no experience at all. Took General Electronics class, (Ohms law, series and parallel circuits, resistors, capacitors, etc.) however, I have never had on hands experience or written an schematic diagram. Can supply detailed explanations and lay out of desired array.

Regards,

Robert

5. newintown

newintown

Dec 3, 2012
    Clarification

I do not understand the term "humped". However, the LED's are attached to one another to form a single string and are driven by a microcontroller. Can supply additional data.

Regards,

Robert

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    I assume that you mean the the microcontroller will connect to the first display board, and it will connect to the next etc.

The key would be designing the 2 digit display that you would then be replicating 28 times. How far are they going to be apart? This would affect how the data would be communicated.

Once you have a design for the displays and their interconnection, you could probably get away with buying a microctroller demo board with keypad and display then the programming it to accept the patterns and send out the the data to the displays.

Can I ask what is the purpose of this project?

Bob

Ask a Question