Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED Display (Home project)

JuvIta26181

Sep 16, 2019
I would like to build an LED display board, like the ones you see at football matches for example. This is a project that I would like to learn from to get a better understanding of many components. Therefore I would like to build everything rather than buying all the board and just programming it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what specific parts to get or a list of parts I would need?
(I would like to make it with miniature leds)
Many thanks

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Not enough information. Can you post a picture or link for "LED display board, like the ones you see at football matches".

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
You are starting with too little and asking too much from help in a forum topic.

You did not state your skill level but I suspect the learning curve will be too steep and that you are better off getting more of a generalized electronics education before tackling such a project, then once you know how to design it, picking the parts should be the easier portion of it.

JuvIta26181

Sep 16, 2019
As I said previously I want to get a better undertsanding of the components therefore I would like to know the parts so I can figure it out for myself. I don't think I am asking too much as all I want to know are the basic components needed.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
Like any other LED Raster Panel displays, it is cheaper to buy than make with no skills or complete design..

JuvIta26181

Sep 16, 2019
I don’t know what you’re talking about I posted that exact picture yesterday at 4:49 PM, I don’t know if this has come up on your feed but I can clearly see it on mine?

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
I'm talking about your pathetic effort to merely post some little 350x350 res. image as if we're then supposed to use that to engineer a product for you and then give you a parts list.

I did not link for just the picture, rather the PRODUCT and some specs.

Again, you are not motivated enough to do this project, plus it would cost far more to DIY than buying it ready made.
[unsubscribed]

JuvIta26181

Sep 16, 2019
I'm talking about your pathetic effort to merely post some little 350x350 res. image as if we're then supposed to use that to engineer a product for you and then give you a parts list.

I did not link for just the picture, rather the PRODUCT and some specs.

Again, you are not motivated enough to do this project, plus it would cost far more to DIY than buying it ready made.
[unsubscribed]
Alright Dave thanks for you help!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
If you actually want to duplicate that, and you are very smart, you might be able to learn enough in 5 or 10 years.

You realize, or maybe you don’t, that that is basically a video monitor that can be configured to different sizes. I have been doing electronics for over 60 years, and would not attempt to build something like that.

That said, I doubt that that is actually what you are trying to build. But unless you can tell what it is, we cannot help you.

If you want ti look at parts that might help you build a much simpler display that might meet your needs, look into:

WS2812B LED strips

And

Arduino microcontrollers.

Bob

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Like any other LED Raster Panel displays, it is cheaper to buy than make with no skills or complete design..
But that is not the objective of the op.

While I agree with the other responses that this is not a good project
to learn from to get a better understanding of many components.
here is a blog that describes such an effort - but in German. You'll have to have it translated.
Lucky for you I found another one in English.

Judge for yourself if this is really suitable to your skill level.

Sunnysky

Jul 15, 2016
But that is not the objective of the op.

While I agree with the other responses that this is not a good project

here is a blog that describes such an effort - but in German. You'll have to have it translated.
Lucky for you I found another one in English.

Judge for yourself if this is really suitable to your skill level.
Yes Harold, however I doubt anyone with my experience would agree with your assumption that there is any valid solution to the objective of this OP and thus my answer.

All professional design Engineers have make/buy decisions on every component on every design.
This is not a valid newbie "make" project.

Learning is better done by reading and reverse engineering until you have the ability to solve issues on your own.

Sony Jumbotrons (as these were called) originally cost a million dollars and this is not a newbie project nor a Heathkit project. The apt and lack of specs would make this a costly failure or a successful way for an experienced person by your example, to
"go insane in the process"

https://translate.google.ca/transla...arduino-hannover.de/2014/05/27/led-videowand/

Last edited: