Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LED circuit, need help with a mod

Mouseman

Feb 28, 2014
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone could give me any ideas as to adding a modification to an existing circuit I'm implementing on my car.

The car has 4 tail lights, two each side. These four lights are LED rings with maybe 20-25 LED's to make up the ring.

As standard, when the cars side lights are on, the outermost LED rings are lit and the inner lights are off. When you Brake, the inner most rings then light up as well and they are even brighter than the outside rings but in effect you get all four rings on when braking.

Below is a circuit I've downloaded which as you can see, intercepts two pins on the lighting connector so that rather than just the outside lights being on when normal driving but ALL FOUR lights are on, the same intensity. When you brake with this mod, it still lights the inner lights up with greater intensity.

It works great but I would like to add a modification to the circuit if possible to make ALL FOUR lights come on HIGH INTENSITY like the inner ones do on braking. So, just to clarify........normal driving, all four lights on dim and when braking all four light on with all four at higher intensity.

Can anyone see if this is possible? I have a horrible feeling, based on this circuit, that the lights themselves have a built in module to control the intensity hence why there is a 180ohm resister in there to dim this intensity for the inner light whilst you are driving normally. I could be wrong but they are sealed units so no way of telling.

Be aware that the circuit below is just for one side of the car. I will need to do an identical mod to the other side ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

lights-circuit2.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
That would probably work, at the worst it would do no damage if the existing connections are straight through from the box on the left and that box does not do any current control.

Mouseman

Feb 28, 2014
Hi, thanks for your reply Steve. The box on the left is the connector which goes to the lights and the two top pins are the ones which go to the brake and sidelights.

I know this circuit works, I have fit it in my car and works. My question is on a modification to it which will give me both sidelights and brake lights at high intensity rather than just the brake light which shows a higher intensity.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
As I said, assuming the connector provides a voltage (and not current control) then your additional diodes and a resistor can do no harm.

The circuit you have could be simplified (perhaps) but this is a conservative approach that is worth trying for the first test.

Once you see what it does then you can decide if modifications are needed.

Legally, the waters are muddier and I won't be drawn as to whether or not your modifications would be street legal.