Connect with us

LCD TV Repair (after power cut) W/Pictures

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Jordan Moir, Mar 10, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jordan Moir

Jordan Moir

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi all,

I have an LG 42" TV that recently died after a power cut (which I am not sure of the cause) which at the same time killed my GPU on my PC (the PC was playing a video to the TV at the time of the power cut).

The TV appears to receive power, the red power LED is glowing on and off (after plugging the TV in and pressing the power button) but I don't seem to get any other response from the TV.

I have very little knowledge about circuits so any advice on what to look for would be much appreciated.

I've attached a few pictures of the TV in question, though I don't know how useful they will be.

This is the TV in question: http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LK530T-lcd-tv

Jordan

Attached Files:

• TV_1.JPG
      TV_1.JPG
      File size:
      279.2 KB
      Views:
    • TV_2.JPG
      TV_2.JPG
      File size:
      221.3 KB
      Views:
    • TV_3.JPG
      TV_3.JPG
      File size:
      386.4 KB
      Views:
    • TV_4.JPG
      TV_4.JPG
      File size:
      279.2 KB
      Views:
    • TV_5.JPG
      TV_5.JPG
      File size:
      244.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. canactech

canactech

Jul 7, 2009
    If the power led is blinking red normally it's because the system have detected a problem. On the TV_5, the capacitors looks defective so you could replace them by new ones (used good quality capacitors), it's not exepnsive and your problem could be settled.

Be carefull with the soldering step because a bad soldering could bring you more problems.

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    Hi Jordan
    welcome to EP
    The most likely best way will be to take it to a service centre and get a quote for repair

with your admitted lack of knowledge, unless its a blown fuse or some similar easy fix
    you are not likely to fix it
    getting a service manual, or at bare minimum a schematic diagram would be of immense help

cheers
    Dave

4. Jordan Moir

Jordan Moir

Mar 10, 2015
    Hi,
    Thanks for the welcome... I did manage to find the service manual though a lot of it means nothing to me, truth be told.

I was considering taking it to be repaired but was wondering if it could be something obvious that could be detected and repaired at home - there is some useful information in the documentation though and I may know somebody who could help with it.

If it's something that isn't too intrusive i'm happy to let them try but if it requires more of an expert touch then I can take it to a repair shop.

Thanks,
    Jordan

5. slanwar

slanwar

Mar 5, 2015
    Normally when a LG or Samsung TV has a red blinking light the problem is the power board (caps) or the main, if you see any cap with the top defective then replace them without damaging anything else. then if still not working go online and look for a main.

Ask a Question