Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LCD TV Repair (after power cut) W/Pictures

Jordan Moir

Mar 10, 2015
Hi all,

I have an LG 42" TV that recently died after a power cut (which I am not sure of the cause) which at the same time killed my GPU on my PC (the PC was playing a video to the TV at the time of the power cut).

The TV appears to receive power, the red power LED is glowing on and off (after plugging the TV in and pressing the power button) but I don't seem to get any other response from the TV.

I have very little knowledge about circuits so any advice on what to look for would be much appreciated.

I've attached a few pictures of the TV in question, though I don't know how useful they will be.

This is the TV in question: http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-42LK530T-lcd-tv

Jordan

Attachments

• TV_1.JPG
    TV_1.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 131
  • TV_2.JPG
    TV_2.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 168
  • TV_3.JPG
    TV_3.JPG
    386.4 KB · Views: 127
  • TV_4.JPG
    TV_4.JPG
    279.2 KB · Views: 98
  • TV_5.JPG
    TV_5.JPG
    244.8 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

canactech

Jul 7, 2009
If the power led is blinking red normally it's because the system have detected a problem. On the TV_5, the capacitors looks defective so you could replace them by new ones (used good quality capacitors), it's not exepnsive and your problem could be settled.

Be carefull with the soldering step because a bad soldering could bring you more problems.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Hi Jordan
welcome to EP
The most likely best way will be to take it to a service centre and get a quote for repair

with your admitted lack of knowledge, unless its a blown fuse or some similar easy fix
you are not likely to fix it
getting a service manual, or at bare minimum a schematic diagram would be of immense help

cheers
Dave

Jordan Moir

Mar 10, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome... I did manage to find the service manual though a lot of it means nothing to me, truth be told.

I was considering taking it to be repaired but was wondering if it could be something obvious that could be detected and repaired at home - there is some useful information in the documentation though and I may know somebody who could help with it.

If it's something that isn't too intrusive i'm happy to let them try but if it requires more of an expert touch then I can take it to a repair shop.

Thanks,
Jordan

slanwar

Mar 5, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for the welcome... I did manage to find the service manual though a lot of it means nothing to me, truth be told.

I was considering taking it to be repaired but was wondering if it could be something obvious that could be detected and repaired at home - there is some useful information in the documentation though and I may know somebody who could help with it.

If it's something that isn't too intrusive i'm happy to let them try but if it requires more of an expert touch then I can take it to a repair shop.

Thanks,
Jordan
Normally when a LG or Samsung TV has a red blinking light the problem is the power board (caps) or the main, if you see any cap with the top defective then replace them without damaging anything else. then if still not working go online and look for a main.