Maker Pro
Maker Pro

LCD screen programming

woodgee

Mar 20, 2012
I've recently bought the following screen

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/lcd-d...2267573743D3632372D313636382677633D4E4F4E4526

with a view to programming to to do some basic functions (time/date/temperature) as part of my cars instrument cluster, and possibly to then add some more advanced functions (home made trip computer?) if that all works out. Anyway. This being my first foray into programming an LCD screen, I'm not sure if I need anything special to drive it (controller/driver chip?). Has anyone had any experience with one of these or similar, or would anyone be able to set me on the right tracks with this?

Cheers

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The datasheet says it needs an ST7565V to drive it, but that part is not available anywhere I looked.

woodgee

Mar 20, 2012
Nightmare, had a quick browse myself and came to a similar problem. Do you know if it would be possible to run it with something else, or does it specifically have to be that component? (apologies if any of these questions are complete schoolboy errors - as I mentioned, I am still rather new to this)

Cheers

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I think the controller chip is integrated into the display module. If you look at the block diagram, the interface to it seems to be an 8-bit parallel data interface. You need to get a datasheet on the controller chip in order to find out how to talk to it. A microcontroller will be required.

Bob

Edited: here is a link: http://www.microtipsusa.com/pdfs/driver_controller_spec/ST7565V-V15.pdf

Last edited:

xxJaRxx

Oct 16, 2011
I am working on this project with woodgee above, we're both trying to get our heads around this!

Cheers for the link Bob, looks like page 52 could come in really handy if it turns out that the driver is built into the LCD..

How would we find out if the driver is built in? I have (hopefully) attached a pic of the LCD, I'm thinking it seems to be a bit bare to have a driver hiding in there somewhere!

Attachments

• IMG_2389.jpg
    IMG_2389.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 152

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
The block diagram in the datasheet for the LCD module indicates that it is, and the connections that are brough out are exactly the inputs to the controller chip, so it seems to me it is. If you has a "bare glass" LCD it would require hundreds of connections to make it work.

Bob

xxJaRxx

Oct 16, 2011
Thanks Bob, that's excellent news, saves us from trying to find an additional driver then!

This leads on to my second question.. As you can see the pins are extremely small and really close together, how would we go about connecting this up to a breadboard (or anything else for that matter)?

Also, I can count 28 pins coming out of the LCD, but can't seem to be able to work out which pin is which by the block diagram.. the 'MPU INTERFACE ( Parallel and Serial)' has 19 pins which are obviously essential but the are many more pins on the block diagram than are available

boots_n_braces

Feb 24, 2012
Hi there as said get a copy of the datasheet for the driver the lcd datasheet will be next to no use, i recently went through this with an I2C lcd. Have you got a basic understanding of lcd operation such as functions of r/s pin etc? If not let me know and il email you some pdfs / links. Ive also got a basic assembly file for driving a parrallel lcd via pic16f690 which may be of some use? dont be put off by the rumors of them being complicated the basics are fairly simple

harry

jackorocko

Apr 4, 2010
This leads on to my second question.. As you can see the pins are extremely small and really close together, how would we go about connecting this up to a breadboard (or anything else for that matter)?

You need to by an appropriate connector for it. I always go to digikey and click on the live help. Send them a link to the photo of the cable and ask them what they recommend. If nothing else, they always give me a good lead on what I need.

xxJaRxx

Oct 16, 2011
Boots n braces, I would greatly appreciate any useful info you have on this subject, including the assembly file. I have a microprocessor from Microchip which I am fairly familiar with (can't remember which one), I am planning to drive the LCD via parallel if possible and write the code in C. I have looked at the datasheet for the driver, paying more attention to pages 52-55 and with a bit of help / info I don't think (hope) it will be too difficult.

Jackorocko, thank you for the advice, I will get onto digikey and see what they say. Hopefully they'll be able to point me in the right direction because without a connector I'm screwed!