Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Laptop Power Brick Connector Change (Warning: HUGE pictures!)

wrtiii

Nov 27, 2011
Good Morning,

I have an Asus Laptop and It eats through power supplies like crazy. They typically run very very hot. The stock power supply for this machine is: 19.5V 79.A

I have a power supply from a HP Docking Station that outputs: 19.5V 11.8A; but of course the connectors do not match.

I would like to take the connector from one of my blown power supplies and replace the HP one with it.

This is where I have run into problems. The Asus Power Brick has 2 leads from the brick to the laptop. 1 Red 1 White wire. The HP Power Brick has 3 leads from the brick to the laptop. 1 Black 2 White. I am a little confused on which I will need to connect.

PB270026.JPG
- Asus Cord I want to attach to the HP power brick.

PB270035.JPG

PB270033.JPG
- HP Connector that is to be replaced

PB270036.JPG

PB270038.JPG

PB270039.JPG
- HP Power Brick, 3 Leads (1 Black 2 White) while the Asus Cord (seen above) only has 2 leads.

Attachments

• PB270026.jpg
    PB270026.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 258
  • PB270033.jpg
    PB270033.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 231
  • PB270035.jpg
    PB270035.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 230
  • PB270036.jpg
    PB270036.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 253
  • PB270038.jpg
    PB270038.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 211
  • PB270039.jpg
    PB270039.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 224

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Can you please take sharper & more useful pictures, and then reduce their size from 13 MegaPixels to something like 1.3 MegaPixel before posting them?
As it is we can't tell anything from them (except that the HP supply has a double screened lead), and they take forever to download.
The key lies where the leads are (were) soldered to the PCB. We need to see details of that exact area, both from the top (showing text) & the underside (solder side).
This applies to both supplies. The colors by themselves do not neccessarily signify/guarantee the polarity (though screen is usually negative). So, 4 pix in all should do.

Last edited:

wrtiii

Nov 27, 2011
Information

My apologies for the pictures, my new camera is not cooperating very well.

The old power supply has no text or markings of any sort on the pcb. It was a china made ebay thingy and the soldering job is quite horrible. I think they dipped it in flux before shipping.

The HP power supply does have markings. Black is "GND", and is the outer most braid. One White lead I believe is the middle braided shield is marked as "VO" and what appears to be the center conductor also a white lead connected to the PCB is marked "ID"

I cannot get to the underside of the PCB or even clearly to the top due to the aluminum shields that wrap around the PS. The inner most aluminum shield has two solder points pretty much at either end of the PS which are just little tabs that connected it to the PCB

visually inspection of them looks like they are almost just there as a retaining device as I see no runs on the PCB going to or from them.

Hopefully this addtional information will help without the addition of more photos at this time.

http://ducimus.dyndns.org/PSUP should get you to the root of the picture directory where it may be easier to view the current photos?

MattyMatt

Mar 24, 2011
I thought my pc had a problem loading the images, wow huge. :D

Doubly so Dave... I thought my internet connection was really slow... more than usual :)

wrtii-

Okay, more than likely the VO is the positive lead, and the very center of the plug (marked "ID") probably has some sort of resistance to use as an identifier for the power supply itself, this is very common practice.

All things considered, the ID lead shouldn't matter as your adapter probably does not use that convention, and probably does not have that feature anyway.

The best thing you can try, is use a DMM to verify which white lead has the voltage, and if they both do, then you should be able to effectively tie the leads together. I would honestly try to use a meter before testing on a laptop.

Good luck!
Matty-

wrtiii

Nov 27, 2011
DMM Checks

So I tested the voltages of the new power supply today.

The black outermost braid marked GND at the PCB is obviously the ground

The white middle braid marked VO at the PCB gives me + 19.57 Vdc

The white innermost wire marked ID at the PCB gives me +19.37 Vdc

When I tie the ID and VO leads together and meter it I get a + 19.57 Vdc

on the manufacturer connector from this power brick it still seems that there is only two points of contact, the outer barrel and the center pin. I do not understand why or what the center ID lead is used for.

On the cable/connector I wish to use with this power supply which has two leads white and red. White is the Outer Barrel and red is the inside.

So do I just connect my white lead from the cable to the black ground cable on the power brick and tie the two white leads from the power brick together and connect them both to the red lead of the new cable?

I need to confirm the old power supply polarity tonight but I imagine I can safely assume the polarity is negative sleeve and positive tip as with most if not all laptop power supplies?