Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Just an idea - maybe it already exists?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
I was contemplating designing a parametric search program to help identify semiconductors but wondered if anyone knew of something 'out there' that already did what I envisage?

The idea is to use drop down menus to select #pins, package type (from images), manufacturers symbols (from images) and/or number coding (whole or part with wildcard options) and the output to show the actual device (plus link to datasheet) and a list of potential alternatives.

If you have ideas for other parameters that could make the output more accurate I'd like to hear from you too.

So, anything like that out there already?

Reactions: Ian

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Nice idea. Haven't seen this yet. Would come in handy quite a few times.

Who is going to fill in the huuuuuuuge databse, however?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Much of the data base would be copied/pasted from existing - Excel offers all the search facilities such a project requires as would a standard Database-type software (but I'm more familiar with Excel).
It's not my 'thang' but maybe robot software could trawl sites for such data and compile a massive spreadsheet to that effect?
Copyright doesn't enter into it as the data is (afaiaa) given freely by the OEM.

Anyway, just posting it as an idea may give someone else the incentive to do it :D

Much as I'd LIKE to do it I always under-estimate the exiting backlog of 'things I must be getting on with' - not that Mrs k_e doesn't constantly remind me........:rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
Sounds like a really great idea (and one that would be really useful) - but I dread to think of how long it would take to populate the database! I think some of the data could be grabbed programmatically from online stores, IC suppliers, etc... but it would still take a lot of work to populate. This may be why it doesn't exist yet (that I'm aware of), but why it may be a really useful thing to have.

It would be easy enough to add a database section to EP which works in the way you describe, but it would take a mammoth effort from many people to get it filled with useful information (links to datasheets for semiconductors would be handy too).

Peter Taylor

Jan 14, 2018
I had a similar idea. I buy parts from AliExpress in China, which is a Web centre for a multitude of retailers and manufacturers to sell everything from shoes to electronic components.
When I am buying parts, I like to cross check prices from different suppliers, but it is very slow and tedious because the category and component values are not named consistently, and using there search engine misses a lot of parts.
I bought Dreamweaver, a HTML editor from Adobe, and using Java, plan to develop a program that does a parametric search of every relevant part of every relevent company on AliExpress.
I haven't gotten far though. I've totally forgotten how to write JaveScript imbedded in HTML.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Found a site called Octopart that has a parametric search facility that covers a LOT of component parts and includes such search options as 'pin numbers' etc. Worth a look:

https://octopart.com/electronic-parts/integrated-circuits-ics

The above link deals with IC's but at their main page you can find other types of components/parts to search through.

Phew.... I don't need to re-invent the wheel after all!

Reactions: Ian