Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is this something fixable?

Kingsholto

Mar 8, 2018
A neighbor gave me his Samsung blu-ray home theater system (model #HT-BD1250) because there was smoke coming out of the back and he didnt want to fiddle with it. I opened it up and saw it had a burst something. I have included the picture.

20180308_133400.jpg 20180308_133426.jpg 20180308_134826.jpg

After googling around I cant even find what it is. I think a capacitor but the pictures of those are cylindrical. If anyone could assist me and let me know if it is fixable, and if so how would i go about fixing it. Thank you.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Looks identical to the other 5 in the same position, what is the number on those?
Capacitor by the look of it.
M.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
0.47μF 160V to me..... but some other checks to establish the full extent of the damage (burned board?) and maybe WHY it blew up in such a spectacular fashion?

The components look to be part of the snubber circuit (across the speaker output).

Last edited:

Kingsholto

Mar 8, 2018
0.47μF 160V to me..... but some other checks to establish the full extent of the damage (burned board?) and maybe WHY it blew up in such a spectacular fashion?

The components look to be part of the snubber circuit (across the speaker output).

I have no experience with this. What would i look for as a cause? If it is burned is it unusable?

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir Kingsholto . . . .

I can see that thar unit 'taint bein' no K-mart $99 Blue light special.

What you have yourself there is the final filtering portions of a class D digital power amp, and those 6 black FERRITE encased cylindrical inductors to the side, plus your involved capacitor sets, are responsible for taking the received high power and high frequency digital pulses and filtering them to conform to . . . . and then be a power analog signal again, to feed to your speakers.
It takes a capacitor that can up to STRONG pulse signals, to be used in this application.

Did any "ghost" lettering remain on the side of the case of the ruptured unit to compare to the lettering of the other like / identical units . ? ? ? To confirm . . . if that was being an ORIGINAL installed capacitor ?
Under the consideration that possibly . . . . a Pratley Peterhead . . . .Mr Fixit extraordinaire . . . might have used a conventional capacitor in a repair attempt . . . . and this would be the expected result.
I have NEVER seen such a drastic, color transition from an all familiar ORANGE to a COAL BLACK casing colorization.
Caps
0.1 ufd at 250V
0.47 ufd at 400V (those are the ones that really get the hell hammered out of themselves)

See how the burn up / or carbonification around the power surface mount resistor responds to clean up with the scrubbing bristles of an acid brush . . .or old toothbrush + Q tips and an aggressive solvent like lacquer thinner or acetone or MEK . That should then let you see if there is any board proper carbonation, which would have to be dug out if approaching a ground planes proximity.

73's de Edd

K9WG

Mar 8, 2018
You could replace the capacitor and see but It looks like there may be some more damage. For a $2 part I would give it a try...

ramussons

Jun 10, 2014
The 2nd photo shows that there is more damage, a overheated / burnt resistor, PCB, .....

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
My guess is that the capacitor failed short circuit.

Hopefully the damage is more cosmetic than it appears.

I would remove the failed capacitor, and possibly the one next to it and clean up the board as much as you can. Isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip would be my first method. If there's clearly residue under other components then you may have to remove them too, but let's hope that it was all smoke and no fire.

You may have to clean the good components before replacing them. But check for damage on the board first.

I am suspicious of the failed cap. The leads look too be formed exactly like the orange caps, but the colour appears too uniform to have changed due to heat or smoke. See if you can find any evidence of uneven colour or remaining orange bits.

Richard9025

May 24, 2016
A proper repair needs proper documentation.
model #HT-BD1250
I found the service manual for the model HT-BD1255 (same as yours)

PDF (no download needed): http://docdro.id/JIKkF5u
PDF to 600dpi raw full quality IMAGE archive (for further edits) (72MB) : http://www.mediafire.com/file/g951nee5cq5k69n/samsung-ht-bd1255.zip

Our photos of interest (too big to upload here)
https://postimg.org/image/80s4c7tml/
https://postimg.org/image/g6a6acn0d/

The problem maker :
samsung-ht-bd1255_025 - Copy.png

On schematic:
samsung-ht-bd1255_024 - Copy.png

So 470nf it is, I wonder how that buddy 'xploded like that.
Please read the service manual for further documentation.