Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Is Kester 44 60/40 rosen core solder correct for general work?

ies

Feb 8, 2012
I've had a spool of solder that I've been using forever, and it's almost gone. No identification any more, but I know it was the correct stuff when I got it.

Digging through saved stuff, I found a spool of Kester 44 60/40 solder. #66 core. The diameter, .040, is a little larger than I'm used to, but still workable.

Before I start using it, is this the correct solder for general (but small) electronics work? I'm usually working on prototype boards with 0.1" spacing.

I typically do not clean flux off my boards after soldering. In the past when I've tried, all I seem to do is move the residual around and not fully clean it off. So I figure it's been better to leave the small residual flux around each joint alone.

Thanks.

KJ6EAD

Aug 13, 2011
Kester 44 is a classic electronics solder so yes, you can use it. I prefer 62% Sn/36% Pb/2% Ag solder with 3.3% rosin flux myself but it's hard to find in the smallest diameters.

Your inability to effectively remove rosin flux is strange. Leaving it makes boards difficult or impossible to inspect and more prone to corrosion and fungus growth from atmospheric moisture.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
IPA (iso propyl alcohol) is the usual flux removal liquid - easy to obtain, easy to apply, easy to clean up.

Worth getting some. It's also used as 'non-corrosive flux' for cleaning pre-soldering.

60/40 flux cored solder was used by 99% of all constructors in years gone by and is still relevant today.

WHONOES

May 20, 2017
IPA (iso propyl alcohol) is the usual flux removal liquid - easy to obtain, easy to apply, easy to clean up.

Worth getting some. It's also used as 'non-corrosive flux' for cleaning pre-soldering.

60/40 flux cored solder was used by 99% of all constructors in years gone by and is still relevant today.
Yeah. I have recommended it on this forum before. A cheap source is undiluted windscreen wash which is pure IPA sometimes with a bit of surfactant in it.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Turps will give flux the business also.
May not be so good for surrounds though.

ies

Feb 8, 2012
When I tried cleaning, I was using IPA (70% or 90%, don't remember which). It did clean the flux. But after everything dried out, there was residue that came through every unused hole in the PCB.

Looked more of a mess than leaving the board un-cleaned.

Possibly the problem was that I was using a brush dipped alcohol to clean the board. I was concerned about dipping the entire board in a tray of IPA. Wasn't sure if the alcohol would damage any passive components.

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
I prefer a Kester Brand 331, 63/37 Water based Flux Solder.
Than you can just wash the whole board under a Warm water Tap to Remove all the flux from Both sides of the board. Dry it and away you go.

FuZZ1L0G1C

Mar 25, 2014

I think this is also called 'surgical spirits' sold in pharmacies, used for things such as cleaning skin, elastoplast adhesive, etc. Works well for scrubbing soldered boards clean.

ies

Feb 8, 2012
I prefer a Kester Brand 331, 63/37 Water based Flux Solder.

I've tried water-based flux for soldering copper pipes (apples and oranges, different solder, I know) and didn't like the flux's ability to keep the joint clean while soldering. Is electrical solder with water-based flux as good as rosen-core solder?

Chemelec

Jul 12, 2016
In My Opinion YES.

As to Copper Pipes, I have used this solder for that also, But you Need Some of the Liquid Flux.
Not just the Small Amount that is In the Solder Core.Flux.JPG