Maker Pro
Maker Pro

invention/adapter

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Yea, but this is a professional guy, who prefers 2kW heavy-duty tools!. ;)

And he is not very professional if he uses a faulty socket putting both the tool and home at danger...

BTW as an Ex-Professional home remodeler I ALWAYS had multiple replacement outlets in the truck and one in my work bag just for situations like this, I would replace any defective outlet instantly if needed to assure safety... 99% of the time it was an upgrade to a grounded outlet not a defective outlet though, as I have explained is rare...

ruxton

Aug 3, 2012
If you go overboard with features, the adapter is going to cost much more than replacing the outlet.

Bob

Hi Bob and also Thanks to all others for your responses,
This product is not intended for use in hospitals. The spirit of
this product is to offer a SAFE temporary fix (although there is no
reason the product cannot just be left in place until it wears out).
And to exclusively address this "relaxation" problem. Outlets that
have been wired correctly eventually suffer from this "plate seperation"
problem and not much else (in the way of problems) It is my intent to zero in
on this problem only.
The safety features put on this product are meant to prevent
propagation of any serious problems. The portion of the product
seeking a patent does not exclude additional safety features being
added on after the fact.
As for marketability ... quite a bit of polling was done to ascertain
the number of potential sales. The polling consisted of 3 main questions
1) Are you familar with the problem
2) a) Are you capable, b) know someone who is capable or c) need to hire someone
capable in order to replace your outlet
Oddly enough about 90% answered yes to a and b combined yet when pressed further
22% indicated they may have to seek an electrician for help. Attributable to
lack of trust in their friends and general fear of electricity or other misc reasons.
As for competing with the price of a new outlet the selling point of this product falls
into the category of those who want to avoid any delay for a fix (plug it in and you're
done) and any expense for having it done by someone else.
As for how pervasive this problem is any house predating 1970 in the US is likely to have at least one outlet suffering from this condition "relaxation"
The government has a special tool it uses to test for this relaxation problem and if it
finds (using this tool) that outlets don't have enough holding power it marks them for replacement. I am not sure of the potential use here but was intrigued by their effort
to fix a known problem.
As for the price I would like to make it as low as possible (hopefully $5.00 or less) such
that even those who are capable of changing out an outlet would be tempted to use it.
As for further damaging the outlet by applying additional pressure to the plates inside
the spring clips pressure on these plates is virtually negledgable.

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
ruxton if you head back quite a few posts on the first page it was pointed out that the socket replacement is as low as 48cents.
have you factored in that your idea is both 10 times the price and only a temporary(not permanent) fix so at some point they will have to fork out the 48cents to replace the part anyway?
Here in australia our sockets (we call them power points) cost a bit more than that. but even if you told me the device was $5 and the new socket which would give a permanent fix (or at least a heap of years) is $10, and the part for $5 is not reccomended for long term use..... I would seriously consider forking out for the $10 part