Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I'm a Carpenter, not an Electrical Engineer

Toneseeker_Guitars

Dec 20, 2015
Hello, this is my first post on the forum here, and I've jumped feet first into circuit design.

I need some help understanding circuit design when it comes to guitar circuitry. I've gotten away with buying pre-made harnesses for far too long, and manufacturing them myself is much more economical.

My first project is being referred to as the golden unicorn of guitar circuitry, and frankly, I'm thoroughly confused as to where to start. I've split the circuit into "manageable" sub-circuits, but the biggest thing that stands in my way at the moment is switching logic, and how to fully utilize what I have on hand. I'll give you a rundown of the circuit with my understanding of it, and how it will flow.

The guitar will have 3 humbuckers (9 leads each), which will be split by a DPDT On/On/On switch into North Coil/Humbucker/South Coil, while the individual coils in the humbucker will be tapped at 6k wraps, 8k wraps, and 10k wraps, which will be selected by taking the single coil outputs from the split switch to a second DPDT On/On/On (6k/10k/8k) and soldering the north and south leads of the same values together to be used on a single terminal on the switch. It gets a little foggy here: If I want to retain individual tone control for each pickup, and still be able to switch all of the pickup combinations between series and parallel, I believe I'd need to place the Dual Cap Push Push On/On DPDT tone pots BEFORE the Parallel/Series DPDT On/On switch, and not before the tone pots.

From either the tone or the series/parallel switch, I'd then go to a DPDT(or a SPDT I'm not sure) on/on switch into a Free-way 3x3-05 6way toggle or a neck/bridge blend pot. From both of those devices, I'd then go to a volume pot, and from the volume pot, into a Stereo Audio Fader to get a balanced output to go to the stereo 1/4" jack and XLR out.

A couple of people who've I've run this by have mentioned that I may need a buffer in the circuit to prevent treble bleed and having the guitar sound muddy, and I have no idea how to go about adding one in, let alone what one is or where to get them or design them.

I understand electronics enough to know that most of this is possible, but not enough to actually go about designing the circuit. I need help understanding the switching logic for my components, and someone proof my circuit design that results after I understand the switches. The attached files are all of my notes on the circuit based on how I understand it, as well as the 6 way switch's switching logic, and a sample diagram that was the closest to my needs as I could find.921163_558436930976236_1254278087447910437_o.jpg 967325_558436950976234_5916734705631605002_o.jpg 12370690_558436850976244_3151270761292906_o.jpg 12375231_558436900976239_3074202996955024772_o.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Unless you build your guitars out of 2x4's I would say you are woodworker, not a carpenter.

Bob
In the UK a woodworker is like saying a DIYer. A carpenter can be anything from guitar making, car dashboards to a house roof!
But we also have 1st fix, 2nd fix etc. Or we have Master to Master cabinet maker!!
Some prefer to specialize in lathe turning or bespoke furniture etc.
I am just a lucky b@*$)^(. who happened to be born a master of them all..:D

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
a finish carpenter
Ah A finish carpenter!! That would be our bespoke joiner!
Here In the States, a finish carpenter seldomly touches a 2x4.
Here in the United States of Scotland , Wales, Ireland And HERE ENGLAND,
The carpenter (me) chooses the stock...The carpenter (me) cuts the stock.. The carpenter (me) shapes the stock...Etc
I used to send lorry loads back to the yard!!! Trying to deliver twisted lumber..!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Lol @ Noah from now on!!
Did your friends (oops) come two by two:p:p
Sorry, but that is just funny...
No offence ......
Just a joke!!

Martin

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Actually that was way before my, :) I mean Jesus time, book of Genesis.
I am a Evolutionist now but even I know that!:p
M.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Here is how I see carpenter vs. woodworker or cabinetmaker:

Carpenter's tools:

Chop saw
Contractor saw
Nail gun
Hammer
Drill / driver
Tape measure
level
square

Woodwoker / Cabinetmaker's tools:

Good table saw, preferably with induction motor
Band saw with re-saw capability
Jointer
Planer
Drill Press
Combination square
Marking tool
Precision straight edge
Hand planes (at least 5)
Scrapers
Dead blow hammer (for fitting joints)
Chisels, probably 50 of them if he does carving
Sharpening stones
Clamps, probably 50 or more
Mortising machine
Tenon jig for table saw
Glue

Bob

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Here is how I see carpenter vs. woodworker or cabinetmaker:

Carpenter's tools:

Chop saw
Contractor saw
Nail gun
Hammer
Drill / driver
Tape measure
level
square

Woodwoker / Cabinetmaker's tools:

Good table saw, preferably with induction motor
Band saw with re-saw capability
Jointer
Planer
Drill Press
Combination square
Marking tool
Precision straight edge
Hand planes (at least 5)
Scrapers
Dead blow hammer (for fitting joints)
Chisels, probably 50 of them if he does carving
Sharpening stones
Clamps, probably 50 or more
Mortising machine
Tenon jig for table saw
Glue

Bob

YES! Throw in about 5 Spoke-Shaves too! While we're at it at least one Lathe is a must. Spring Pole, Treadle, Peddle or Engine is OK. :) The concept is simple and basic. You continually add stuff to your shop until you no longer have room to work! :eek:

Chris

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
You forgot the router table, miter box, cumpass, files, rasps, and hand saws.
And to add to CDrives rather archaic list; Adze, awl, broad ax and drawing knives.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Archaic hell! When I get an itch to do late night wood working my neighbors appreciate that I feel a kinship with Roy Underhill. :p
And yeah, I have a Drawknife or two or maybe three. A Fro too!

Chris

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Archaic hell! When I get an itch to do late night wood working my neighbors appreciate that I feel a kinship with Roy Underhill. :p

Chris
I love that guy! Just try not to cut yourself as much as that guy does.
(Band aids on every finger)

Toneseeker_Guitars

Dec 20, 2015
Can we get on topic guys? I'm more than willing to discuss carpentry after I get the information that I need. The goal with this part of the circuit is to get an output from the north coil in the upper on position, and output from the humbucker in the center off position, and an output from the south coil in the lower on position. I copied the circuit from here: http://www.guitarelectronics.com/pr...iring-Mod---HumbuckerCoil-Tap-North-Coil.html

I want to say that there's a fault in this circuit. It looks like the only position that would work is the humbucker in the off position. My reasoning behind this is that in the upper on position, the north coil goes into a loop with no ground, and when in the lower on position, the south coil's hot out goes straight to ground. Could someone correct the circuit if it's wrong, or if I'm wrong, tell me why I'm wrong in my reasoning?SPDT North-hum-south.jpg

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Not forgetting the Adze, responsible for more artificial legs than any other instrument.!!
M.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I am sure there are members putting your circuit into simulators as we speak!.
But there is a lot of info to read first.

Martin