Maker Pro
Maker Pro

I have the qualification electronics and i don't know it's occupation

Alex Side

May 16, 2016
This is about high school. I followed this domain by our educational criterions, I didn't understand what is with the montages and i kept asking myself why do i have to draw a circuit when i didn't know what happened with the pieces in the actual moment. I muddled trough school and i didn't knew why i choosed this domain. Maybe it's because of the sofisticated name.I am asking you if i can hired with the degree but no practical knowledge, i mean you write math formulas and you calculate what you have to calculate without keeping tabs on to put something to work. The worst part is that we don't have the electronics department in our town and the only departmant that is alive is electro-technics. All i know is that i wield Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's law and the current+voltage formulas. Also, our Ms class teacher explained us at her hour that all we have to know is to complete the cv and that's all. Our Ms class teacher is an english teacher.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex Side

May 16, 2016
Opinions, suggestions, replies?

Last edited by a moderator:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I can't really follow your first post.

As far as I know, a high school level understanding of electronics is not a degree.

However I would encourage you to do something practical with electronics as that's where the fun is.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Like *steve*, I'm not sure if you're saying you just want to do theory work in electronics, with no practical hands-on experience. If you just want to be a theory person in electronics, good luck with the schoolwork.
If you want to DO electronics, you'll have to do hands-on experience.
You might not be able to find anybody to pay you at first, but if you're still in high school you might consider trying
to find a shop in your area that does something interesting in electronics for you, and ask them if you can work
with them for a couple of hours after to school to learn the hands-on trade. You learn a lot by watching and listening to other people who do electronics work.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Personally, I would NOT hire anyone with just a degree or diploma of any kind. I would want to see some passion from that person with respect to their interest in electronics. Passion demonstrated by hands-on involvement after school, on their own time, to improve their practical knowledge of real-world electronics. You cannot be very successful if the work you do is not fun.

Look for part-time work after school, even un-paid work if you can afford to do that, to gain practical experience. If you have a "knack" for it, and can do the work assigned, you will be hired. Continue your education after high school. Study on your own if necessary. Never stop learning, experimenting, exploring new concepts. Go where few high school students have gone before! Make learning a lifetime habit!

Even as an electrical engineer with a college degree, I have washed dishes in a restaurant and performed unskilled manual labor for daily hire between jobs in electronics to pay my bills. Nothing wrong with that, but you have to set goals. Just because a title or diploma sounds sophisticated doesn't mean you should pursue it. Do what pleases you and holds your interest, in a subject you can be comfortable learning. Maybe painting houses or welding or repairing engines suits you better than learning about circuits. Or maybe you will become a chef or a gardener. Your choice.

Alex Side

May 16, 2016
Mister hevans what you meant from your reply was that not everyone can understand electronics?Not everyone can understand how an electron wanders in a semiconductor?
There is also something else,we have no lab so we can't perform our practice skills.We don't have factories so there is no way we could do something with our own hands.What am I going to do at my certificate?
Can i do something in electronics home?I have no time to waste.I already wasted my time in highschool memorising formulas and had no idea what to make with a PCB.I could do a siren or a digital clock but the jury would mock me.
Also i'm not the best student in my class.I'm the only one who got an F in the practice lab from my hs but that is only because i wrote what i remembered from my previous lesson not because i tried so hard to understand these phenomens.Anyway he changed my mark from F to A-.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You should have some practical experience. Start with repairing electrical equipment, this will teach you logic and how to find data.
Move on to electronic equipment - clocks, radios and similar. There are usually plenty of sad cases that you can get to renovate.

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Personally, I would NOT hire anyone with just a degree or diploma of any kind. I would want to see some passion from that person with respect to their interest in electronics. Passion demonstrated by hands-on involvement after school, on their own time, to improve their practical knowledge of real-world electronics.
When considering the typical (epic) posts from Hop, this snippet came from what would have to be classified as a Hop blurb. That said, it contains the singular prerequisite that defines an exceptional EE or Tech. :)

Chris

Alex Side

May 16, 2016
You should have some practical experience. Start with repairing electrical equipment, this will teach you logic and how to find data.
Move on to electronic equipment - clocks, radios and similar. There are usually plenty of sad cases that you can get to renovate.
I haven't found what you wrote.I bought a few resistors from my shop(it's not an electronical shop it's more like a advanced shop for pro rather than a shop for beginers).
I made a circuit with them but my multimeter had some troubles after I put it in the socket without batteries.I didn't knew that could happen.After that my device showed me more numbers than it should show.
I tried to measure the current and the voltage from the resistors but the values were more than one.
I knew i should listened to a pro but i guess i'm not good in this job.
Is there a job where you need to use electronical configuration,atoms,protons as skills?
I haven't graduated highschool yet.I'm in the junior year.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
You could start by doing some woodwork which will teach you to do things carefully and not amputate your fingers.
I spent some years running an electron microscope. This taught me that extreme cleanliness was essential and how to diagnose and repair electronic faults. A tip I give is not to test a transmitter in your bedroom with the aerial on the carpet. It is very difficult to explain the snail track burnt into it.
I have recently been asked to look at a circular saw which did not work. Firstly, how to get it apart, then where did the circuit have a break in it? There was no connection between the carbon brushes, one was worn too far. Then I had to investigate the internet to find suitable replacements and got it working again. I even managed to re-assemble the saw with no bits left over.
I suggest you get the cheapest meter possible if you are to make a habit of treating it badly.

If you want to play with atoms and electrons without using your hands, then propose a new theory of black holes. Nothing like starting at the difficult end.

What is wrong with a siren or digital clock? I would not be bothered to make a digital clock, this would take me weeks on design, construction and fault finding and others have already done the work.
The equations you have learnt may not be used often but are essential when needed.
You have a good english teacher unless the moderator changes have made much difference.

If all else fails, read the instructions.

Alex Side

May 16, 2016
Uh I haven't learned programming in hs and I have no idea where to start from.I want to get a job but a qualified one.The thing is that i suck at physics(except 9th and 10th grade) and chemistry too.
Should I learn a job or should I stay with electronics?

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
Alex I am going to say something here that is just staring at me in the face from your posts
this post is almost 1 year old and you still haven't decided. if you are in high school talk to your tutors, find something you are good at and dedicate time to it. if you believe you aren't good at something then practise until you are. get good at something you WANT to do. this sounds like that almost a year after your original post you still want someone to make a decision for you. from someone nearing 40 I can tell you this, work is work, home is home. you make the choices to make your life better. I doubt anyone on this forum has a complete insight into everything that would need to be factored into this to make a good decision for you. talk to parents and tutors, they know your limits better than anyone here