Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Hurricane help

EMoran74

Oct 29, 2012
I'm in Hurricane Sandy without D batteries for my radio(I know, I should of got some). I have AAA, AA and 12v batteries. If it is possible could someone help me wire them to power the radio? Thank You in advance

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
This is a bad time to be thinking about hurricane preparedness.

Replacing D cells with A, or worst yet, AA cells is not going to power the radio very long.

Chris

Hurricane Veteran
Time In Grade: ///////////

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Wrap the AA batteries until they are the same diameter as D batteries, use foam,cardboard, tape or whatever... Run time will be a fraction of D cells but they will work...

AAA won't be worth the hassle to make work... The 12v might work, depends on how many batteries your radio uses or what the wall wart input is...

Good luck on weathering it out, as a home owner one of my first purchases was a large gas generator, and it's come in use many times since it's purchase...

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
This is a bad time to be thinking about hurricane preparedness.

Yeah, it's not like hurricanes develop in an instant like the tornadoes and storms do in the Midwest... It never ceases to amaze me that people do not take the week long advanced notice to actually prep, it's always wait till the last moment...

On the radio thing, run to a dollar store, they have very basic radios that run on button cells, and even though all the rest of the batteries are sold out I'll bet you can still get button cells to power the little radio... Don't expect great performance but you will be able to get sound out of it...

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
On the radio thing, run to a dollar store, they have very basic radios that run on button cells,

I really must get into the 21st century. I didn't know that! Do they actually drive an electromagnetic speaker?

Chris

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
I really must get into the 21st century. I didn't know that! Do they actually drive an electromagnetic speaker?

Little ear buds, that are included... The radio is less than stellar but it does work and you can get stronger stations without much hassle... I have purchased them to snag button cells, the volume control with on/off and the stereo jack when I need one and can't wait or be bothered with order that stuff...

The last one I purchased had a couple of stacks of button cells, and that was actually the reason for the purchase to replace the batteries in a toy LED light that my daughter burned through that day...

Since the local dollar stores rotate stock like crazy there is always different offerings to be found... Here is an example I found on ebay that runs off button cells just as an example... Note you can purchase button cells from Asia for chump change and have 100s on hand for next to nothing so it's not a big investment to stay connected...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MITAKI-JAPA...=US_Portable_AM_FM_Radios&hash=item43b4ed8f69

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010

Typically an earpiece in my experience.

(Nice beard)

EMoran74

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the help and advice. There are many reasons for not being prepared properly. I was out of town for a couple of days before the storm and when I got home I had to help friends and families get ready for the storm. I unselfishly helped others before myself and hoped that I had enough time before the power went out to take care of myself, so please hesitate in jumping to conclusions about why I did not have every little thing I needed

EMoran74

Oct 29, 2012
Thank You for the warm welcome to your forum. With the service that people receive here I am sure that this website will become a big hit(end of sarcasm).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Thank You for the warm welcome to your forum. With the service that people receive here I am sure that this website will become a big hit(end of sarcasm).

I have it within my gift that you receive no more assistance from this forum. Just say the word and I will make your wish come true.

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012

Proof positive no good deed goes unpunished or without negative cometary... Hopefully someone learned something or takes in some of the advice given...

It's no wonder more and more people are feeling less and less sorry about others when Mother Nature unloads...

Miguel Lopez

Jan 25, 2012
CocaCola said:
Wrap the AA batteries until they are the same diameter as D batteries, use foam,cardboard, tape or whatever... Run time will be a fraction of D cells but they will work...
Good idea. I will try AA to replace C type batteries using styrofoam, they should fit well