Maker Pro
Maker Pro

HP Plasma Tv problem

Allfixer

Mar 9, 2011
Hi, my HP Pl4245N plasma stopped showing a picture.

The power light is still on at the front of the unit so I guess power gets thru.

I checked the fuse on the power supply and it seems to be fine.

However there are at least two capacitors which are blown. Possibly others of course.

My question is given the facts does the power supply board probably need replacing or can just the capacitors be replaced.

Thanks.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
It's hard to guess.
Typically something else blows, and the caps go. But there have been a few times when it actually was ONLY the caps.
Did you look around for any other obvious circuit damage?
I don't think anybody will be able to say for sure with no other available information,
but with a jolt serious enough to blow the caps, maybe you can follow the trace on the
board to the connected components, and see potential damage to THOSE parts. Or in identifying them, someone here might be able to suggest if they could have survived the pulse that zapped the caps.

Allfixer

Mar 9, 2011
It's hard to guess.
Typically something else blows, and the caps go. But there have been a few times when it actually was ONLY the caps.
Did you look around for any other obvious circuit damage?
I don't think anybody will be able to say for sure with no other available information,
but with a jolt serious enough to blow the caps, maybe you can follow the trace on the
board to the connected components, and see potential damage to THOSE parts. Or in identifying them, someone here might be able to suggest if they could have survived the pulse that zapped the caps.

Should not the fuse have blown too if something damaged the capacitors?

Can't see any obvious other damage.

I think I may have found a replacement board for $75 - just waiting to confirm it is exactly the right one.

That may be the easiest way to go.

Thanks.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Should not the fuse have blown too if something damaged the capacitors?
Thanks.

not necessarily, in fact many bits of gear I have repaired only the electro caps weree faulty

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
To save $75, I'd be willing to change quite a few capacitors!