Connect with us

Plasma TV problem

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by jbflash, Dec 7, 2009.

1. jbflash

jbflash

Dec 7, 2009
    I have a Sony 42" KE-42M1 Plasma TV that plays fine till it gets warmed up good. Then it starts showing some horizontal noise streaks, then the picture brightness starts flickering or strobing. I was going to use some circuit cooler to track down the problem. Where should I start?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  2. jbflash

jbflash

Dec 7, 2009
    I have made some headway with this problem. I directed a small desk fan into the vent slots over the power supply area and the set has been on steadily for several hours now.

3. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Yes, plasma's generate a lot of heat, and without fan cooling the electronics will have a hard life. It seems the easiest, cheapest, and best way to solve the problem is to incorporate some low-speed quiet computer fans to move air through the set.
    Internal or external is the question though.

4. jbflash

jbflash

Dec 7, 2009
    Thank you very much Resqueline. That seems to do the trick. The set has been on all day with no problems. I plan to replace the desk fan with a muffin fan mounted to the back of the set and possibly power it with a wall wart. I got the TV free on the Freecycle network and the family is tickled pink! Our other TV, a Magnavox 37" LCD died last night with a power supply problem, so the timing couldn't have been more perfect. Thanks again.

Ask a Question