Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How To? Remote Control Sound Effects

A440

Dec 2, 2012
Howdy,

I am wondering if there is a way to MOD/assemble a small remote controlled sound device that I can program my own sounds into.

I have a friend at work that pranked me and took several years off my life by scarring me half to death. Several months have gone by, and I want to to see if I can make him think he is hearing voices.

I know there must be a way to build one of these with commonly available materials, or existing products I could MOD to this effect. Anyone have any ideas? Nothing quite like this exists in the GAG industry.

Thanks!

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
Making someone think they are hearing voices is a stretch. Not likely to succeed. But here is a good electronic prank:

http://www.instructables.com/id/The-555-Electronic-Cricket-Prank/

I have not built this, so I don't know how well it would work, but, having tried to locate real crickets that kept me awake at night, I think it is a really evil prank!

There are other versions out there as well, search for "electonic cricket".

Bob

Last edited:

marmitas

Oct 9, 2012
The Picaxe is a user friendly PIC that allows you to load and play ringtones. You can also program the sounds note by note.
Take a look at:
http://picaxe.com

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
Native RTTTL sound production on the PICaxe is about equal to vintage 8 bit arcades... It's not all that realistic...

If you want to recreate a 'realistic' sound you really need to step up the quality with an MP3 decoder or PWM based on real audio samples... And to get realistic quality you will need external storage, unless it's just a bleep or what not... You also need to invest in a decent speaker, small cheap speakers almost always sound like toys...

comdoc3

Dec 15, 2012
Remote controll sound effects.

I did this to a workmate. I just used a family band 2 way radio. Radio shack sells them. Hid it and had him going for some time. I would gradually speak louder into it. Also playing music softly makes him look for where it's coming from. Next I'm going to put one on my car hook it up to a PA skeaker, and use it like a car alarm " Step Away from This Vehicle." Then tell the person. "farther away, Your still too close."