Connect with us

how to make a pan control?

Discussion in 'Electronic Basics' started by Mad Scientist Jr, Jun 22, 2007.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. RichL

    RichL Guest

  2. They are usually just individual linear or special
    symmetrical taper pots stacked on a single shaft. I think
    Bourns makes pots that can be assembled in an arbitrarily
    large stack behind the one with the know shaft. I haven't
    seen quad linked slide pots, but I am sure somebody has
    produced them, at some point.

    For example:
    This one shows some special symmetrical tapers:
  3. Keith Adams

    Keith Adams Guest

    Thats a simple mixer alright. Simple minded. After running an already weak
    signal through pots and then fixed resistors your remaining signal needs to
    be amplified by some means before leaving the mixer or the remaining signal
    will be next to nothing.
  4. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Explain to us how that differs from using the volume control on a guitar.

    I use dirt cheap pan fade pedals. I'm fairly picky about tone. They
    work GREAT. ...and it's a simple single linear slider pot. Signal is
    split between the two outputs. Rock the pedal one way, and the pan fade
    is transparent, not really in the circuit for the one amp. I even use
    two for panning guitar between three amps.
  5. bg

    bg Guest

    Mad Scientist Jr wrote in message
    A pan pot is meant to change the position of a sound source without changing
    the volume of the source. In other words, you can move the sound from left
    to center to right and it should sound just as loud at any position. Only
    the position changes. A simple balance pot changes both the position and
    loudness. Pan pot circuits are a bit more involved than balance pot
  6. Keith Adams

    Keith Adams Guest

    Well Jim I'm probably wrong but see it like this.. The guitar is one of the
    first signals in the chain and will be sent through a varying number of
    gain stages in an amplifier. A mixer is one of the last if not the last in
    the chain. I've built the same type of mixer and the results were less than
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm talking about a passive pan fade pedal between guitar and amp, very
    early in the chain.
    Super Reverb
    Guitar - pan fade 1 < Marshall JMP 2204
    Pan fade 2 <
    Mesa Mark III

    Insert effects where they work the best.
  8. Marra

    Marra Guest

    Put a pan slider on the outputs and take the middle of slider as your
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day