Maker Pro
Maker Pro

How to allow load function only once

midwestman

Jan 9, 2014
I am a complete noob when it comes to EE work. With that being said, I have a project I am working on that will lead to a miniature vibrating motor being activated. I need it to function for a second or two, and then stop. I'm hoping to use a 3v circuit and keep the cost as low as possible (typical entrepreneur).

I have seen the mk111 timer kit but that is a bit pricey. I think a 60s delay is as good as it only functioning once.

Is there an IC or something similar that can do what I'm looking for at 3v?

Thanks! Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, there are a lot to choose from and I wasn't sure.

Last edited:

midwestman

Jan 9, 2014
I have to say I expected at least one answer to this question. I cross posted on another unrelated topic forum and got 5 ideas in two hours. Not sure if I posted this in the wrong forum, if it's a noob first-post thing, or what.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
Have you considered a CMOS version of the 555 chip run as a monostable? The TLC555 is specified at 2 to 15 V supply voltage.

John

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
I have to say I expected at least one answer to this question. I cross posted on another unrelated topic forum and got 5 ideas in two hours. Not sure if I posted this in the wrong forum, if it's a noob first-post thing, or what.
Well, your post did not really give enough information to make a suggestion, I cannot figure out what you are trying to do. First you talk about 1 or 2 seconds and then stop, then you mention a 60 second delay. You said nothing about what triggers the 1 or 2 seconds of on or where the 60 second delay comes in.

Bob

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013

I agree with Bob. Also we are a helpful bunch on here and there is usually someone that knows the answer. But because most of us have jobs and can only checks post in our lunch break there might be a delay in answering. If you post your questions in the evening then you are likely to get a quicker response like now for instance.
Thanks
Adam

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
I guess we read the OP's question a little differently. The first sentence seems to me to fit the description of a monostable.

Then, the second sentence here is indeed confusing:
I have seen the mk111 timer kit but that is a bit pricey. I think a 60s delay is as good as it only functioning once.

My interpretation was that the 555-based timer met his needs in terms of timing, albeit not clearly stated, but he would have preferred something a little different and less costly. It did not meet his needs in terms of voltage, but he didn't comment on that. Obviously, if he wants a single 60 s delay followed by a 2 s pulse, that can be done with two TLC555's or a TLC556 and satisfy his voltage supply requirements. Whether it will meet the current he needs without a transistor is up for question.

BTW, that kit is available for $3.79, including a 555 and all other components:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/VELLEMAN-SA-MK111-/28-12868

Pricey? I am skeptical he can build it for that, excluding shipping.

John