Maker Pro
Maker Pro

how i rewrite a microchip

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
I have in my posesion a huge amount of good electronical boards with microchip's that i want to reuse them for new proposes! I m a member on more electronical forums in the world but still nobody can answear how can i rewrite a microchip !!!
I m also a beginner so i ask for help !
How i rewrite a microchip ????

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Welcome to our forum.

By "microchip" you mean microcontroller, right?
You will need a programmer that is suitable for the specific controller plus the right software to re-program the controller. Google the partnumber of the chip(s) to find information related to the specific chip(s) you have at hand.

Note that not all microcontrollers are re-programmable, some are programmable only once and cannot be re-programmed. Consult the datasheet of the controller chip for this information.

You cannot re-program fixed logic chips (standard logic, ASICs etc.) or discrete devices (transistors, diodes, etc.)

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
It is possible to reuse a Microchip from a board (for example from a VCR player circuit board) to reuse it for my 3d printer project board ? To rewrite the Microchip for a different task ?....how can i rewrite the Microchips who was removed from different electronical devices boards ...one by one before soldering them one the new board
huh.gif
...or i can write them after my new board is manufactured,soldered with all of the electronical components ?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Give us a list of the numbers marked on some of these microchips, or post a photo of some of them.

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
I can't find any of the compounds ...strange database
For example i give you :
cheertek CT908B 438G6A20328105CFBE
(which is a microchip from a dvd player board ),maybe you can help me ...?

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Cheertek seems to be a Chinese manufacturer with no web site. If that device is reprogrammable, the information you need to be able to reprogram it is probably not available publically. If a manufacturer wanted to use that device, they would have to contact the manufacturer and sign an NDA (non-disclosure agreement), and agree to buy a large quantity. In other words, there's roughly zero chance that you can find out anything useful about that device. It may also be mask programmed, in which case you can't reprogram it anyway.

Try some more numbers from some of your other ICs.

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
I apologize that i m not prepared now for pictures but i will borrow a photo camera in this afternoon coz my phone is too cheap for clear pictures :) and i will post in this evening for you some of my electronics that i posses ,maybe you can help me.Thank you !

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
This is probably a specialized chip, not a universal re-programmable one.
The company "cheertek" seems to be out of business.
Your chances of re-using this chip are very very slim.

When you want to design a controller board, you first need to get acquainted with the controller you are going to use:
- Study the architecture (how the controller is composed from functional units).
- Study the available options (timers, counters, interrupt controllers, PWM controllers etc.) that are built into the microcontroller of your choice.
- Learn how to program teh controller (in assembler or a higher level language like e.g. "C" or "Basic").
- Install a suitable development platform (IDE) on your PC
- Start by writing simple test programs (a favorite: make an LED blink)

Please forgive my bluntness, but I do not think that you are ready to design a 3D printer's electronics at the level of knowledge you have. Spare yourself the painful experience of an ambitious project that doesn't come to a happy end. Start simple and make progress by raising the complexity of your projects in accordance with your raising level of knowledge.

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
Thank you for the answear miter Harld Kap i m doing all of that right now...that why i m a beginner . I have a lot to learn but i start everything in paralel with building my first 3d printer.

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
Like you required i succeed to make one picture of my stepper motors that i m willing to use them for my 3D printer project (because i didn't found a good camera for good resolution photos) anyway here i post the numbers written on the microcontrolers of the steppers.(please note that they are from VCR players)

M63101FP

the second is : 90900E M56746SP

Attachments

• IMG-20140901-00208.jpg
    IMG-20140901-00208.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 732

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Those are not stepper motors (or at least I very strongly suspect they're not).

Do they spin freely or do they have very obvious steps as you rotate them?

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
They spin easy but you can feel the steps...are like bumps for each coil of the rotor!!!
And they have 4 wires ...you can see the pins in the image

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You do realize that microcontrollers can be had for less than 1$. Trying to salvage something and reuse is a total waste of time.

And, even if those motors are stepper motors, they are unlikely powerful enough for a 3-D printer.

Bob

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
Dear mister "STEVE" I meant they spin easy with the hand(not with electrical power)...you can't spin them free (i just said that they have 4 wires)
And sorry if i bother or if is too much for you guys but i don't want to buy microcontrolers ...i want to learn to rewrite them !

P.S. please note the title of the topic (if you can't answer its ok,i can understand)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
i don't want to buy microcontrolers ...i want to learn to rewrite them !

OK, that question has been answered. Find the datasheets. The method of programming will be documented in them.

In the absence of you having a programmable device that someone here knows how to program (or in fact knows they know -- you may just have an obscure OEM part number) that's the best we can do.

Also beware that some devices will require expensive hardware and/or software to do this programming.

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
Thank you very much for your answer,i m very satisfied !
One more tinny thing ...what is this "programmable device"...has a name ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thank you very much for your answer,i m very satisfied !
One more tinny thing ...what is this "programmable device"...has a name ?

That depends on the type of micro controller
eg....
for a PIC micro -- it would be a PIC programmer

Also be aware of why Steve was encouraging you not to bother with used micros ....
because many have bits programmed into them that will stop you from reading or writing to the chip
its done to protect the copyright of the firmware

cheers
Dave

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Most "little black boxes" in commercial products CANNOT be reprogrammed. They contain a program that is PRINTED into the chip and cannot be removed. This is because PRINTING the program costs less than BURNING it into the chip.
You are wasting your time. I would be a MULTIMILLIONAIRE if the chips were re-programmable.
Start by flashing a LED with a micro.

suiram

Aug 31, 2014
That depends on the type of micro controller
eg....
for a PIC micro -- it would be a PIC programmer

Also be aware of why Steve was encouraging you not to bother with used micros ....
because many have bits programmed into them that will stop you from reading or writing to the chip
its done to protect the copyright of the firmware

cheers
Dave
Dave
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.” ― Sheldon Cooper
I m very touched by your quote....you know why is funny coz i m exactly for real,in real life in that situation just that i don't have even the Native American water vessel :(