Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Help with 3v relay

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
Hoping there is not an undisclosed built-in diode paralleled to the coil, and being reverse fed...:rolleyes:
Easy enough to check that too: measure the coil continuity using the diode scale. Should read about 0.7 volts, the forward drop across a silicon diode in one direction, the actual coil resistance or about 25 ohms in the other direction. If you get the same resistance in both directions, double check this using the ohms function; if still about 25 ohms with the multimeter probes in either direction, there is no diode.

Make sure when checking the contact continuity that one multimeter probe is on the moving contact and check for continuity to the remaining two contacts with the coil first energized and then de-energized. It sounds like you may have been trying to produce a circuit between the normally-open and normally-closed contacts, ignoring that these must be used in conjunction with the moving third contact.

BarryTX

Feb 14, 2016
Success! And of course it was a basic error on my part. Signalman asked the right question, but I didn't understand that the 'middle pin' between the coil power inputs is where the switch closes, I was focused on what I understood the schematic on the bottom of the relay was showing (it isn't real clear). I figured it out last night while checking for continuity with the 3v side powered up. I just never thought that the contact in between the coil power inputs is where the high power circuit would close, especially after thinking the schematic told me different. A couple of lessons learned for sure. Once again I am very appreciative of all the help you have given me with this, many thanks to all.

Barry